Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT Tuner Curiosity

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:14 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default SCT Tuner Curiosity

Hello-

So I got my FRPP CAI and SCT Tuner from AM. Installed the CAI no probs and uploaded the 91 race tune. I was impressed but not wowed.

Bottom line being i decided to try street and perf tunes. But when I Plug the tuner in and tell it to load the alternate bama tune, I get an error message saying something to the extent that the tunes are the same and it wont upload because theres no reason to reupload the same thing.

My thoughts being, either this is not normal and I got the same tune 3 times (Tried to put in street as well) and I need to get new stuff from AM, or this is normal and im a moron who missed something. Right now all I can think of is that you may have to reload the stock tune before switching to a diff custom tune?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

No, when you load the tunes from the SCT Device Uploader program, you have to go back in 3 times and manually load 3 different times. Sounds like you loaded the same tune in all 3 slots. Let me know if that makes sense, I can find my updater and clarify if needed.

And no, you dont have to reload the stock tune before switching. I carry a dyno tune from Brenspeed and 2 email tunes from AM in my tuner in the car and swap tunes few times a week depending on what I want.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:02 PM
keester
2nd Gear Member

Stags, Got mine yesterday also. loaded 91 race also. No problem. I will try another 1 in a day or two. I will let you know.
Franchi..All 3 tunes are already on My tuner from AM. Maybe BAMA goofed and loaded the same tune 3 times.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Ahh that's true. I forgot that they come preloaded when buying the tuner. In that case, yes sounds like they simply goofed and loaded the same tune 3 times. Just call them and they can email you the other two tunes and it's very easy process to load them on the X3.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:37 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Keester-

Do let me know. What CAI did you get and what did you think overall?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 PM
keester
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
Keester-

Do let me know. What CAI did you get and what did you think overall?
I have the old style FRPP CAI. The box looks like a steeda box but uses the stock tube. Got it off ebay new, with the FRPP tuner for $175.
Any luck figuring your tunes out.
The BAMA tunes fixed my problem with pinging. I put the 91 performance tune on today. So I have tried the 91 Race & Performance tunes. Haven' had a chance to really form an opinion yet, I'm just glad the pinging is gone.
Getting the 4:10's installed next Friday. Glad My speedometer will be right then.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:58 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Nice.

I called bama with the error code, they said the tunes didnt make it on to the tuner so they sent them to me. I uploaded them. Problem solved.

I spent the better part of the day testing the tunes using the old butt dyno. Ive decided to leave the race tune in. The Perf tune was nice with the best torque, but it felt sluggish and sloppy wheras the race tune felt precise and pissed off. The race tune made the car feel much lighter and sportier. The street tune felt like the race tune dialed back a few notches.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:15 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Stags,
The CAI will NOT make a difference when it comes to what brand you buy.
They all perform the same. It's the tunes and types where you will get a difference.

Also.. do you have an auto or manual?
The CAI and tune can give less of an UMMPH feel in manual transmissions for some peple because you are the one doing the shifting and controlling many aspects.
You are still getting the same power gains as the auto.. it just can not seem as much to some people sometimes.

Again though this may not be your issue because it REALLY sounds like they put on the same tune three times.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-18-2011 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:51 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I do have the manual. Sometimes the damn t5 is pure aggravation

Buttt The upside being theres less power lost between the crank and wheels si?

Bama told me they didnt get all 3 tunes on the tuner... But they emailed them to me and I got em uploaded no problem