Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound like an exhaust leak??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default sound like an exhaust leak??

I started noticing this sound the other night and it might have gotten a tiny bit worse (could just be me since its on my mind). Its a sort of ticking/hissing sound coming from the driver side near the front wheel. I checked the passenger side front wheel and it sounds normal the way it sounded all along. I popped the hood to see if maybe it was my motor or something of that sort that was ticking, and its as quiet as a mouse minus the blower whistle (no odd sounds at all). It sounds like its either the side of the motor but on the very bottom (header bolts) or underneath the car (x pipe/flanges). I am going to change my oil and while I'm under there check/tighten all the exhaust components tomorrow. If its not that what else should I look for, but I am pretty sure it just sounds like an exhaust leak.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

sounds like an exhaust leak. pypes are evil when it comes to sealing right. my x pipe moves when ever it wants. i would check where the headers conect to the down pipe.
did you ever get dyno tuned yet? i know you were having problems.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:37 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I am going to go and check everything on the exhaust system now. I got my JDM email tune to be working fine so I am keeping my dyno tune appointment for sept. 15
Old 08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Ok well I tightened everything up, nothing was loose but I did snug up the header bolts a little bit more so hopefully we will see. I started it up and got underneath the car while it was still on the jack stands and it sounded better, but it does get worse as the car fully warms up so I wasnt 100% able to tell if it was fixed or not. Jim @ JDM said if I was hearing it from under the car it would be an exhaust leak and sometimes with the pypes headers the gaskets go or the header itself where it meets the motor gets warped. If anything I will just rip them off and put the stock system back.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

If it helps any, my Bassani X-pipe has a ticking/almost slight hissing sound on part throttle even though there are no leaks. I took it to a local reputable exhaust shop and they said that x-pipes will make this noise.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:17 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
If it helps any, my Bassani X-pipe has a ticking/almost slight hissing sound on part throttle even though there are no leaks. I took it to a local reputable exhaust shop and they said that x-pipes will make this noise.
I'm going to try and take a video later, but I think it's probably normal. Maybe it's just the way that JDM tunes that I hear it more now
Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I just did some reading on here, and could it maybe be loose spark plugs? I am going to re-check them in the morning but maybe I didnt torque them down enough when I changed them for the s/c install......