Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Banger Mustang in 2015???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 01:19 AM
tbroecker01

Yikes, the 6.2L SC in the GT500, how much HP will that put out??

I'm surprised that the EcoBoost isn't offered in the Mustang yet. I thought it'd be an option by now in the GT or base.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:56 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

That should be a cute little motor for the chicks.. what we need is an ecoboost twin turbo 5.0 GT.

It would obliterate everything.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbroecker01
I'm surprised that the EcoBoost isn't offered in the Mustang yet.
I'm not.

There aren't enough turbo'ed Mustang race cars to generate customer demand for it (like there is for Porsche, Subaru, and Mitsubishi) and there isn't enough fuel economy pressure (yet) to make it happen as a consequence of regulation.

There are a few differences in engines designed for transverse vs longitudinal mounting in a car. You can adapt an engine originally made for the other arrangement, but it will end up with some compromises. I'm thinking more along the lines of a turbo'ed 3.7 in some version, possibly in a slightly smaller displacement in order to have a more rugged block.

Norm
Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 AM
09CSGT

Originally Posted by tbroecker01
Yikes, the 6.2L SC in the GT500, how much HP will that put out??

I'm surprised that the EcoBoost isn't offered in the Mustang yet. I thought it'd be an option by now in the GT or base.
I doubt they will ever offer it in the GT, too many die hard V8 fans,( I wouldn't buy one in the GT) in the base, without a doubt. What I've heard they are aiming in the 650-700hp range for the GT500. (I have a freind who works for ford)
Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 AM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about the Turbo-4, it's not supposed to replace the V8. There will always be a Mustang GT with a V8.

At worse, they could replace the 6 with the Turbo-4, at least in European/Asian markets.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:57 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09CSGT
What I understand is, definitely 3.5 ECO for base, 5.0 DI and re-tune for GT, and 6.2 Supercharged for the Cobra.
I like the idea of the 6.2L Rator engine. But to keep up with smoothing out the torque curve and putting a little more meat in that curve at lowere RPM bandwidths and to also keep up with that all-so-precious CAFE rating they are fighting so hard for, they had better DOHC it with 4valves and TiVCT. SC it? Yes, or while they are redesigning the heads, direct inject it and Eco boost it.

In reality, I see them stroking the Condor to 5.8L before they even put an modified Raptor engine into the GT500 (or Cobra, whatever the hell they will call the top trim level)
Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I'm not.

There aren't enough turbo'ed Mustang race cars to generate customer demand for it (like there is for Porsche, Subaru, and Mitsubishi) and there isn't enough fuel economy pressure (yet) to make it happen as a consequence of regulation.

There are a few differences in engines designed for transverse vs longitudinal mounting in a car. You can adapt an engine originally made for the other arrangement, but it will end up with some compromises. I'm thinking more along the lines of a turbo'ed 3.7 in some version, possibly in a slightly smaller displacement in order to have a more rugged block.

Norm
I agree with you here for the mojority. If I am reading right, you are talking about transverse mounting the 3.7L? Or are you talking about the existing Eco boost sixxer the 3.5L sho and mounting that longitudinally?

If the 3.7L, I doubt that will ever be transverse mounted in the Stang. If anything, it will only be Eco boosted it it's current drivetrain configuration. The only engine fit for transverse mounting would be Chris Theodore (I am hating this guy right now) stupid four banger. But also what tranny would go with it? Of course a FWD tranny, it would be stupid to translate a transverse crank power 90degrees, run it through a long driveshaft to be translated again 90degrees via a rear diff.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:54 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

I wonder how they plan to make the cars any lighter. Engines are already aluminum and half the car is plastic.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:57 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

If they can get 31mpg out of a 300hp v6...why need a 4cyl? I'm sure they can work some magic and get a few more mpg (weight management, programming..ect).
Old 09-05-2011, 10:44 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Yes, they had better ecoboost the 3.7L. They better not just drop in the older 3.5L sho. And while they are at it, the Coyote can see Ecoboost too for better fuel MPG and massive power increases. The best of both worlds: better CAFE and keep up on the competition.

As for the 4banger? The asshat who said this was Chris Theodore, I think. This idiot wants to remove the v8 from the GT. The GT only gets a sixxer. You would have to buy a Boss or Cobra or GT500 if you want the 8.
This jerk wants the 4banger to go in the base too.
Basically he wants to make it such that you would have to pay $60k plus for a v8 Stang.

I for one am writing a strongly worded letter to FoMoCo about this idiot and demand his removal from the company.

I agree with you about Chris Theodore....

From Motor Trend: "Todd Lassa asked three legends in the industry how they would redesign Ford's ponycar. Chris Theodore, You need to suprise and delight, and you have an even greater challenge to make it fresh, but recognizable. They're doing a great job, but they really haven't made a lot of reach. The Camaro is a more comtemporary take on the '69 than the Mustang is. You can have a breakthrough in the surface language, but you can also have a breakthrough in the packaging. You need to look at Europe (and make the cars smaller)."

Quick Reply: 4 Banger Mustang in 2015???