Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's better Dynotune or mail-in tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Default What's better Dynotune or mail-in tune?

SO i have an 07 GT with a C&L airintake on it and a Diablosport tuner (****ty). Anyways, last year i tried getting mail-order tunes from American Muscle. They screwed up several times in a row and I eventually asked for a refund and could never use the tunes.

I would do an in person tune, but the shops where I live are quoting me like $300 (Chattanooga, TN), and I would rather not spend more than $150.

Should I find a different online tuner site that will do the job, or just wait until I have enough cash and get an in-person dyno tune? which gives better results?

thanks.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

A dyno tune is more accurate and long as the tuner is skilled, will be better for your car. BUT $300 honestly is CHEAP for a dyno tune, usually they are $400 to $500 depending on area and car.

But you really dont honestly need a dyno tune as dyno tune are considered mostly critical for any boosted application or built engine with massive cams. For a stock and near stock car, a solid email tune should be fine. It wont hurt your car by any means, but it's sorta overkill.

If you didn't like AM's tune, perhaps try Brenspeed, BlowbyRacing, VMP Tuning, there is a lot of them out there.

Not all with tune with Diablo though, SCT is the most common tuner by far.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:17 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I dont think brenspeed uses the diablo most use the sct. and he is right you dont need a dyno tune for your mod. you just need someone that is skilled with diablo's setup.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:02 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

From what I've read, custom tunes from AM and Brenspeed are comparable to a dyno tune, correct me if I am wrong. However, having a dyno tune performed will allow them to tweak and add a little more performance gain. My question is with a dyno tune, who keeps the stock settings? The dyno company? With my SCT tuner, I am able change my car back to stock or change amongst the 3 custom tunes.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:12 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
From what I've read, custom tunes from AM and Brenspeed are comparable to a dyno tune, correct me if I am wrong. However, having a dyno tune performed will allow them to tweak and add a little more performance gain. My question is with a dyno tune, who keeps the stock settings? The dyno company? With my SCT tuner, I am able change my car back to stock or change amongst the 3 custom tunes.
Kevin, with a dyno tune the tune is stored on the SCT handheld and it still retains your stock tune. Its the same thing as an email tune, its just your car is actually run on the dyno and tweaked specifically for your car on the spot.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:17 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

I had my tuner put on my SCT tuner from Evolution Performance. I think they are still a vendor here but I may be wrong. There tune worked great for me. If you don't have a lot of mods just get a regular canned tune. No need for a custom dynotune unless you go FI. Just my opinion though. Good luck
Old 09-07-2011, 04:39 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckydawg003
I had my tuner put on my SCT tuner from Evolution Performance. I think they are still a vendor here but I may be wrong. There tune worked great for me. If you don't have a lot of mods just get a regular canned tune. No need for a custom dynotune unless you go FI. Just my opinion though. Good luck
+1, couldn't agree more.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:40 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Kevin, with a dyno tune the tune is stored on the SCT handheld and it still retains your stock tune. Its the same thing as an email tune, its just your car is actually run on the dyno and tweaked specifically for your car on the spot.
Ahhhhhhh, thanks for the info! I thought they plugged in their own laptop and tuned the car accordingly and then saved the stock settings on their computer.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 09-07-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Like my man said if you're not pushing serious power a mail order tune will do you justice...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Plain & simple short answer.

bolt ons = mail order tune unless you have money to blow for a few extra hp (maybe 5-10)

Blower/FI = Dyno tune or a serious tuner that datalogs.

I went with a JDM email tune for my blower FOR NOW, because they had a 2 month wait time for a dyno tune. I honestly wont feel 100% secure until my car is on their dyno

Quick Reply: What's better Dynotune or mail-in tune?