Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

people with vinyl stripes

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM
clix813
4th Gear Member

Default people with vinyl stripes

I'm sure this has been posted before but frankly the search engine kinda sucks and I don't feel like going there 30 post to find out my question. how are they holding up for those that have there vehicle exposed to the weather and dd there car. I want to get 2 flat black stripes but don't want to pay 2k for it to get painted. So vinyl seems like the thing to do. If anyone lives in az they know the sun kills just about everything so I'm curious if it even would be worth going with vinyl over paint.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

I live in Florida. Didn't have in a garage for 3 years due to living in college dorms and apartments. The weather (mostly the baking sun) did a real number on my stripes when I had vinyl. Cracked em all to hell. Depending on how long you plan on keeping the car, painted stripes really are the way to go.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:48 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

If you can keep the stripes out of the sun, they'll last much longer. My stripes have been on since late 2005. But, the hood ones are painted, and the rest of the car will get painted eventually. Painted just looks so much better. Vinyl is a decent alternative, especially for short-term, or as you mentioned, lower-cost options. You could also replace them every few years, but that's a lot of work.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Stripes aren't $2k I just had an estimate of a 20" stripe with pen striping for $700. It would be worth it, but vinyl can look good too.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Literally to do it the right way you have to have the entire panel you are painting stripped and repainted. Counting the front bumper, hood, roof, trunk, rear bumper, and spoiler, that is going to be like 3K dollars. Sure, you can just mask off the car and spray over the old paint, but it won't last as long or look as good.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
Literally to do it the right way you have to have the entire panel you are painting stripped and repainted. Counting the front bumper, hood, roof, trunk, rear bumper, and spoiler, that is going to be like 3K dollars. Sure, you can just mask off the car and spray over the old paint, but it won't last as long or look as good.
I don't know about that... you're gonna have to ask Pascal about that. He prepped and sprayed over my pre-existing paint and I think it looks pretty damn good. I monitor it along the edges just to make sure there's no chipping and she's holding up nicely so far even while sitting in hot parking lots and doing significant highway miles between Orlando and Tampa. I don't think you have to strip entire panels to look good and hold up to weather (depending on where you live, I suppose). At most, 1k to paint stripes over the existing paint with prep work included. If you do go with the option the First stated however, he is right, that'll put you 3-4k in the hole.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:39 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

A lot depends on what brand stripes you get too. 3M makes a few that are guaranteed for 6 years.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Hack Job
2nd Gear Member

My silver/metallic vinyl stipes looked great until this summer. They were dealer installed in 2006. The went through all previous summers in Austin & Ft. Worth w/ no issues. One summer in FL and they're cracked, peeling, and look like total *^$!. Replacements will be painted on.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar

This is spot on with the paint quotes I've received too. Sure, Maaco will you do you up real nice for $500....but you're going to get a $500 paint job. A quality paint job that includes sanding, prepping, priming, painting, clear coat, etc will run you $2-3k easily...and that's $2-3k you could spend on a supercharger

Hmmm, look fast and furious or actually be able to go fast and be furious...decision seems pretty simple to me
Old 09-13-2011, 06:41 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

My vinyl's are overdue for a change! Have an '06 with stock vinyl stripes and they lasted about 5 years but over the last year they have gone south, wayyyyyyyyy south! lol...if you can, put money into paint because it is a lot better and will cost less over time.

Quick Reply: people with vinyl stripes