Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well I'm stuck...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:43 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Default Well I'm stuck...

Sorry if you're tired of seeing threads from me, but I just have alot of questions that need answers, lol.

I was looking into buying a GT...but due to certain circumstances..I cannot.

So I'm back to modding the v6..
I thought nitrous, but it's impractical and dangerous (right right?)

I want more power at my fingertips at all times, not just when I flip the switch at the track..

So then I thought Procharger..(Since it has the built in intercooler or whatever, less trouble/thinking/whatever for me...)
But I just discovered that I would need an 8.8 rearend...(so that's 700+ ontop of the 5grand for the procharger..)

So I'm back to the drawing board..
Right now I've got the tune from AM..
no CAI yet (I'll be getting it someday...)

Exhaust will be coming soon as well, just waiting on some paychecks..
(Stock GT H-pipe, SLP Loudmouth Resonators, and custom muffler delete)

But then what?
I'd like to do some appearance stuff...front/rear bumpers..but I want power too.

So what do you guys suggest..
I've always heard the next big step is the 8.8 rear-end and some 3.73 gears or 4.10's..
but as I said, that just seems expensive and impractical..
I did read a post saying a v6'er busted his stock rear-end with just CAI+Tune and drag radials..so obviously they can't handle any horsepower..

Help!
I'm so lost..
I just want my GT, but I can't have it.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 PM
aero86
2nd Gear Member

ummm, if you want a gt... patience is a virtue??
Old 09-14-2011, 09:03 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

I was told by parents that I can't sell the v6 and get a GT...so it's out of the question for at LEAST 2 years...that's a long time to wait..I don't like waiting, lol.

btw,
how is your airbox "modded"?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Honestly, as much as it sucks, there's no cheap option/solution for horsepower. You have to pay to play.

Ever heard the saying you can only pick 2 of the following- fast, cheap reliable...

If it's fast and cheap, it won't be reliable. If it's cheap and reliable, it won't be fast and so on

You just have to chip away at whatever route you decide to go. Just make sure you research all the options before you dive into something. Chances are someone on here has bought it, beaten it and broken it.

You could always ditch the 20's. They're certainly not helping performance at all i.e. rotational mass

Last edited by Alec; 09-14-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:35 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Yeah I know what you mean..

if only ditching them were that simple. I've had them on Craigslist for awhile now with no bites, so meh.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:40 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Go with a Vortech.... I've heard nightmare stories between both brands but not nearly as much as the procharger.... Research!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

JUST ENJOY THE CAR!!!! Trust me dude I know you want more power, but so did I and since I installed my m90 in July I honestly wish I wouldve left it with the mods I had and just enjoyed it. I have a knot in my stomach since the install with the tune not being 100% and having to wait a month for my dyno tune killlledddd me. I may be paranoid, and yes I will admit it, but like alec said you have to pay to play. I'm 18 and dont have the money to replace a blown motor, tranny, etc.. My dyno tune is tomorrow so hopefully all goes well and I can start enjoying it, but dude this is an expensive hobby. If you want it done, you have to do it right. Buy a s/c and have it installed and DYNO TUNED by a reputable shop. If you have to wait, you have to wait and theres no way around that if you want things done right. Like I already said, I installed my s/c in june and will hopefully be able to enjoy the car after tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:49 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Best of luck Grabber! Kput, as people have said, choose a plan and stick to it. It's costly, but just enjoy your car and do a little at a time! Oh, and if you go appearance, get a nice chin spoiler or if you feel like putting the money there, a cs front facia! I've always had a soft spot for that bumper though

Enjoy it and go one step at a time!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:03 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

I'm with grabber blue, enjoy what you have. I remember being in high school, I thought anyone having a vehicle was a cool kid on the block, let alone a Mustang!

I understand you wanting a GT, I had a 2011 V6 because that was what I could afford but nearly a year later I was unexpectedly in a position to buy the GT I always wanted. Being in high school, I don't know if you work part time or full time and how much you make. You can look into getting 2 part time jobs, or a full time job and save up for that GT you really want.

My friend had a bone stock silver V6 like yours and definitely enjoys his car since he bought it a few years ago. Despite letting him drive my 5.0 and being in awe of the looks and performance, he is content with his lightly modded V6. He saved money for a year working at K-Mart to pay off his car $13k up front (3k from his parents).

I absolutely love his car, maybe even a little more than mine but that may be because he inspired me to buy a Mustang when his was just stock and the fact that it looks badass in person now than any photo I could show you but here it is.

Last edited by goodfun_gt; 09-15-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:16 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

If I were you (being someone that has traded cars around a lot and ended up upside down & stuff...), I would just wait it out. Enjoy the car you have and maybe in 2 years you will be able to afford something really nice and you'll be glad you waited. Maybe even sell the 20's since they sacrifice quite a bit of performance and MPG and save that money.

I am currently in a somewhat similar position... really wanting a 5.0 but trying to be content with what I have and wait it out til the next redesign. My next Mustang will probably be the 2014/2015 "50th anniversary" one (unless they try to charge some insane markup...)

Quick Reply: Well I'm stuck...