Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Hack Job
2nd Gear Member

Default Header Leaks

I can't get my new Pypes LT's to quit leaking. Its all you can hear from the front of the car at idle and its embarrasing in traffic. When I installed them I reused the stock gaskets but they may be burned out because the nuts kept backing off the studs. The last time I re-torqued them I also put jam nuts on but the gasket damage must have already been done.

I'm planning to go with Percy gaskets with the copper exhaust stuff sprayed on both sides. What are the best fasteners to use - stage 8, percy's, something else? Or will the factory nut/studs along with jam nuts be good?

I'd rather not remove them but would it be worth it to ensure the flanges are perfectly flat. It wouldn't be much more work than what i'd already be doing to access the lower bolts anyway.

I just want the leaks to stop for good. Suggestions?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:57 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Does it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYdhh8PqlMU&NR=1

Do you know for sure that your headers are not warped? I do not know if that has any bearing on the issue since headers are much more flexible pipes than a manifold. And putting the bolts on right and torquing them down properly should address any warp, but that is just one guess.

If warping cannot be an issue, what about a possible hole or crack in one of the header pipes?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:32 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

I have the percy gaskets on mine! They are great gaskets
Old 09-16-2011, 01:55 AM
ZERO4572003
1st Gear Member

i had problems with my headers having an exhaust leak took them off and the gasket had burned and was in peices so we made our own gasket and it has never failed.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

If the flange is thick enough and still strait, just use some high temp silicone and no gasket. Typically if the bolts are backing out then you may have some warpage at the flange and/or something causing excessive movement in the exhaust down wind of the headers. Sometimes a loose hanger can cause many issues. Invest in some Stage-8 locking header bolts to prevent the bolts from coming out.

We don't use any gaskets with our exhaust and have no issues.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Hack Job
2nd Gear Member

Header gaskets, bolts, and gasket coating arrived from Jegs this morning. It'll all be going on this weekend.

Originally Posted by Stainless Works
We don't use any gaskets with our exhaust and have no issues.
Anyone else doing this? I trust that they obviously know what they're talking about I just haven't heard of running w/out gaskets.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

I would run stock 100% stainless steel gaskets and use some Nord-Lock washer on the stock studs with a possible, but not necessarily required, upgrade to some stainless ARP nuts. Your first mistake was reusing the stock gaskets. Since they are all metal they deform to fit surface irregularities which could cause them to take a set that will not seal on your new headers.

P.S.
Never run headers without gaskets. The sealer may seal nicely at first but will definitely burn out down the road. Also I have read a lot of issues with the Percy gaskets having to do with either not getting torqued down enough or also a little to much both which cause them to develop leaks down the road.

Last edited by Nice Pony; 09-23-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:35 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

I had a slight leak out of one header. The flange was slightly warped. Took both headers to the machine shop and had them planed for 60 bucks. Put on a new set of Percys Seal for Good gaskets. Done. Perfect.

Follow my advice or keep bitchen 6 months from now lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:41 PM
leahyz

I installed my pypes LTs a couple months ago. I removed all the factory studs and used the supplied bolts that came with the kit. I also installed the gaskets that came with the kit. No leaks as far as I can hear. I've never re-tightened them since there's no apparent leak.

Now watch, I'll go for a drive this weekend and it'll leak like crazy.

Zach
Old 09-23-2011, 02:19 PM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hack Job
Header gaskets, bolts, and gasket coating arrived from Jegs this morning. It'll all be going on this weekend.

Anyone else doing this? I trust that they obviously know what they're talking about I just haven't heard of running w/out gaskets.
Percy Seal-4-Good or GO HOME!!!!!!! Best gaskets by far. OEM SUCK!

Quick Reply: Header Leaks