Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear diff leak?? With pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default Rear diff leak?? With pics!!

As I was under my car tightening my stock exhaust up I noticed the bottom of the rear differential was darker than the rest. I got to the back of the car and touched it and it seems that there is a leak from somewhere. The leak is not bad cause my car has sat for over a week in the past and has been sitting this past week and I have never seen fluid on the floor or anything. When I went for my dyno tune today I had JDM take a look at it and they said its coming from the pinion seal. Does anyone else have any other input? Here is what it looks like, and I know I have 4.10s but shouldnt this be covered under warranty since they wont know I have 4.10s. I also only have 15k miles on the car

Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Yep. That's a leaky pinion seal all right. If you had gears done recently, go back to them and make 'em fix it.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 PM
JimC

Ford won't warranty that - you don't have their parts in it any longer once you changed the ring and pinion. I'd go back to whoever did the 4.10 install, they did something wrong in the set up.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:06 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Careful what you post on here regarding trying to get over on Ford with them not knowing you have gears.... There are people that work for Ford on here and you never know who is reading...
Old 09-15-2011, 07:16 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Careful what you post on here regarding trying to get over on Ford with them not knowing you have gears.... There are people that work for Ford on here and you never know who is reading...
Right. And as a matter of fact, they are full time employees who are paid to do nothing else but to do exactly that: Be the eyes and ears to watch for anyone stupid trying to pull the wool over a dealership to do warranty work that should not be covered by warranty service.

This is one of the reasons why I do not reveal too much about my own car that could identify me conclusively to my car's VIN. If I do need legitimate warranty service, I will not go on the net and gripe about it to possible give the dealerships any possible reason to wrongfully deny me warranty service that is truly legitimate.

Dealerships are already too quick to deny warranty service for too many wrong reasons, even for reasons that are made up (stupid S*** like denying service because they see bits of rubber in the wheel well, or denying service for a bad strut because you upgraded the driveshaft). And they could use whatever you write, twist it into a lie to their advantage, and deny you legitimate warranty work without even looking at your car.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:26 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Ok so even if I have to pay, does this look like a pinion seal leak?? I dont know how long its been leaking for, but I got the 4.10s installed like last november from Real Speed Automotive in long island. Its an hour and a half away so I wanted to avoid going there, but I think I should give them a call in the morning. How much would it normall run from the dealership to have this replaced???
Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Ok so even if I have to pay, does this look like a pinion seal leak?? I dont know how long its been leaking for, but I got the 4.10s installed like last november from Real Speed Automotive in long island. Its an hour and a half away so I wanted to avoid going there, but I think I should give them a call in the morning. How much would it normall run from the dealership to have this replaced???
I would def. give them a call. If anything I would see if they will help cover the charge if any at all if you decide to have it repaired somewhere else because of distance. Btw, I remember when you got the 4.10s, well the thread. Idk how or why I do lol.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:52 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Yeah I am going to give them a call in the morning and see what they have to say.. I am going to tell them that the leak is coming from the pinion seal. If anything I am sure the ford dealership will know how to replace a pinion seal. JDM offered to do it, but they dont have availibility until oct. 19 and I am not waiting that long.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Ok so my father almost laughed when I got home and so did my gf's father (as you may know I am EXTREMELY paranoid). They said the leak is not bad at all and its only a pinion seal that can be done in about an hour. I have an appointment at 830 on monday, but I am going to try and get in tomorrow or saturday. Since its "so easy" I wad thinking of doing it with my father and just changing out the fluid with royal purple, but my father said even if its not warrantied its only $150 and I should have Ford do it. Any opinions?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:47 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

If you're ok doing it yourself, it's not that hard at all, but for you, and your naturally worried conscience, take it to Ford, LOL!

Quick Reply: Rear diff leak?? With pics!!