Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick pics, and SLP question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 03:37 PM
blackmamba10
1st Gear Member

Default Quick pics, and SLP question...

Just gave her a bath today, and figured I would take a few new pics. Also, I got a skeleton grill emblem a couple months ago and finally had some time to put it on today too.

As for the SLP question... I installed a pair of loudmouths in june and ever since then theyve been making like this rattling noise I guess. When I get to a certain RPM it sounds like theyre rattling around down there. Its not drone because the drone is an obviously different sound. If I shut the trunk lid when the pipes are hot, they shake a bit and make some noise too. I checked all the bolts to see if anything was loose... everything felt nice and snug. Anyone have any ideas?

Now... on to the pictures. (Sorry.. theyre kinda big I know..)

New Grill Emblem!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:03 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Nice looking ride!
As for the sound from the exhaust, I would take a look at the hangers on the tailpipes...they may be rubbing up against metal producing the noise.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:09 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Beautiful car! +1 on the hangers. My car had a bit of a rattle back there, and it turned out to be just that the axlebacks were a touch too far up on one side, loosened it and very slightly adjusted it, and it went away. Hope yours is an easy fix and find, chasing rattles sucks
Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Hey man I like the skeleton pony! Def. unique.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 PM
blackmamba10
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone! I have to give credit where credit is due, I first saw the skeleton pony when I was just surfing through threads and I came across the grabber blue GT shane had that had the emblem. Ever since I saw that I absolutely had to have it lol.

Thanks for the tips, hopefully one night this week Ill get to take a look under there and see if I can move the axlebacks around.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:14 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

I had some rattling coming from mine,
the bolt for the hangers was actually TOO TIGHT.

Weird, right?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:02 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

Lovin' the emblem!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:27 PM
merv43

Great looking car, other than the loudmouths have you done any other performance mods? cai+tune? Just looking for Ideas for mine. Love the color.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM
blackmamba10
1st Gear Member

kput, its possible that the bolts are a little too tight, I did use an air wrench to tighten them down. This is probably a stupid question... but is there a certain torque for them? If there is ill take them off and then re torque them over the weekend.

merv, unfortunately the axelbacks are the only performance mod that i have done. I have an O/R X pipe in my garage still in the box that needs to be put on, i just havent gotten to it yet.

I have plenty of ideas and a long list of what i want to do to this car... but my wallet cant keep up.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackmamba10
kput, its possible that the bolts are a little too tight, I did use an air wrench to tighten them down. This is probably a stupid question... but is there a certain torque for them? If there is ill take them off and then re torque them over the weekend.
I know nothing about all that fancy stuff.
I barely have the sockets to install mufflers, lol. I'm learning though.

So I'm not sure on mine. I just tightened it til my hand couldn't turn it anymore. Was too tight, so I loosened it almost a complete turn, and bye bye rattling.

I sat out there for half an hour trying to figure it out. Ran the car idling, cold start it wouldn't rattle. But up around 2-3k rpms it'd made a loud rattle/buzz. Take it back home, and it'd still do it while idling.

Quick Reply: Quick pics, and SLP question...