Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle in the Lower End of Gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 04:04 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Default Rattle in the Lower End of Gears

Recently I've been having a rattle that I can't seem to identify.

It only occurs in the lower end of the gears (mainly 1st and 2nd). It's really noticeable with the windows down, and it sounds like a high frequency metallic rattle.

Kind of hard to explain, but the worst it gets is when the gear bottoms out...you know that point where you can feel the gear kind of bounce along at the lower limits of it's speed...the rattle is worst at that point, and then fades out as RPMs increase.

Immediate thought when I heard it was exhaust...but I'm not really sure. I have aftermarket exhaust so that could definitely be it, but the frequency of the rattle leads me to think something else...a lighter piece of metal hitting up against something so that it can move really quickly...

Just recently I started getting a new noise too...it's like a low "whump" sound that increases in frequency with speed and decreases as I slow down. That leads me to think it has to do with tire rotations...something rubbing there. I've had something similar, but it turned out to be a little twig stuck up in my rocker panel hitting the tire, but I could pinpoint the location of that one (front right wheel well). This one sounds like it is behind me, but I can't pinpoint it exactly.

I know this is vague, but I was just looking for possibilities so I can check them out.

Thanks,

HT
Old 09-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What RPM range is that metallic rattle in? I and others have had a metallic rattle. Mine was around 800-1200 RPM and turned out to be the axleback clamps needing a little more torquing. For some others, it was the heat shields. And for some others, it was axle-hanger-to-frame contact.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

I've just figured it's the "you're lugging the engine, cut it out" rattle. I get it under 1k rpm.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 PM
pepprdog

Sounds like spark knock.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Stokestack

Huh. I've had a rattle like this on my '96 for a while, and thought it might be a heat shield or something. Sounds like we're describing a similar noise.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:12 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Wow, didn't notice that this thread had any responses...I'll check the range for ya'll. I am positive it's on the lower end, but not sure on the exact RPMs. I got under the car and beat on the exhaust pipes a bit to try and get the rattle to replicate, but I got nothing.

I am pretty certain it isn't the hangers. Heat shield and or clamps could be the culprit. It does, however, sound like a sheet of metal is one of the components...which is what threw me off a bit.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
my97cobra
1st Gear Member

For what it's worth I had a similiar noise in my 97 Cobra. It was very noticeable when going slower under load like up a hill. I replaced the clutch a few months back and the noise is gone. We looked at the old clutch and could not see anything wrong. All I know is the noise is gone!!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

It's between 1,000 and 1,200 RPMs.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Thor
2nd Gear Member

The noise that your hearing might be your lower control arms? I had the same problem and I upgraded to some BMR LCA's and the noise is gone.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:50 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Okay, I'll look into that as well. Thor, love the Cervinis kit on that GO. I'm so ready to get my C-Series front end on my Redfire.

Quick Reply: Rattle in the Lower End of Gears