Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tree Sap from Hell

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:13 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. And yes, I would love to burn that tree to the ground. I am shocked at the power of this sap. It is basically bonded to my paint. The only thing that comes to mind is the acid spit from the movie Aliens.

Loaded6shooter are you sure about the RainX? coz i will go buy it immediately if it will take this stuff off.

I've googled the issue and the following solutions i have not tried, and plan to try in the morning:

rubbing alcohol
mineral spirits
lard
rubbing compound

so if none of these work, I'll give the rainx a shot, and then the claybar.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:57 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

yeah dude if that dont work bring it to a detail shop and have them buff that out, if your not good with a rotary buffer you can burn ya paint of REAL quick and hate your life more then the tree...I would also try Ultimate compound by meguiars, you can use it with a rotary and by hand, its the strongest consumer compound they make unless u can get ya hand on some 3M but thats commercial from what i think..Try that also and i would clay it off first to have a clean surface on your paint.

Last edited by SkyWitit23; 09-24-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:41 AM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

Clay Bar.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 AM
RHuckster
2nd Gear Member

rubbing alcohol
mineral spirits
I've used both, rubbing alcohol seems to work better. You have to keep turning the cleaning towel though because once the pores of the towel are filled with the sap it will no longer clean.

Rick
Old 09-24-2011, 10:57 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

i had an issue a month ago or so about getting striping paint all over the side of my car.Several body shops told me straight up gasoline,daub it on and wash the area right away.
I was pretty leery of this but since i was told by several well established shops,i took the plunge.I pretty much had to do the whole passenger side of the car.Basically i washed the whole side in gas.
It took a while as i didn't want to scratch the car with the loose paint.Of course i had to completely rewax the car but it did do the trick.
Another thing you could try is WD40
And believe it or not,i heard bacon grease works also

good luck
Old 09-24-2011, 11:51 AM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Dude. Clay bar.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:49 PM
WildAzCat
2nd Gear Member

That some tough sap. My first go at it would have been with a clay bar system. Best wish on getting it off. That mess would drive me crazy.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:48 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Try Adam's All Purpose Cleaner, and if that doesn't work, CLAYBAR! Get it off as quickly as possible, too. If you wait, it could etch into the clear. That could be an expensive fix. good luck!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:04 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Stoners Tarminator
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 PM
loaded6shooter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
Thanks for the suggestions guys. And yes, I would love to burn that tree to the ground. I am shocked at the power of this sap. It is basically bonded to my paint. The only thing that comes to mind is the acid spit from the movie Aliens.

Loaded6shooter are you sure about the RainX? coz i will go buy it immediately if it will take this stuff off.

I've googled the issue and the following solutions i have not tried, and plan to try in the morning:

rubbing alcohol
mineral spirits
lard
rubbing compound

so if none of these work, I'll give the rainx a shot, and then the claybar.
dead serious on the rain x. my car was always garaged but a few years ago when i was still living with the parents i used it all the time to get sap off my dads black denali. being black the sap just cooked on and nothing else was working

Quick Reply: Tree Sap from Hell