Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharge a V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:00 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Somehow this thread got completely off topic into a V6 vs V8 **** measurement...how about helping the guy instead? Also, who says you have to do a rear end swap? I've never heard that a supercharged 6 has to get a new rear end if they put a blower on. Supercharging a 6 vs. going with an 8 (and possibly supercharging) is going to be much cheaper on insurance as well as overall! 6bangers are great on the track when they are blown (due to lighter engine) and you can always upgrade the other things (suspension, rear end, etc) later. Do some research and figure out what's best for you and go for it! It can only make the ride more fun!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:59 PM
JimC

As far as the rear end you are better off with going to an 8.8" rear end. The extra power and torque will take a toll on the 7.5" and in the end, it is actually cheaper to buy and swap the 8.8" than it is to try to build up a 7.5" with gears and a tlok. (The 7.5 open diff will be one wheel power).

I broke the original 7.5" - after spending the money on gears, a tlok, and a girdle to strengthen it - just by a tune and some drag radials. The new 8.8 cost me less than it cost trying to build the 7.5. It was the worst modding decision I ever made.

And as far as the comment that the supercharged V6 won't beat a stock or even lightly modified GT - have you ever been to the track and run one? The GT doesn't come off the show room floor running mid 12's unless you are talking about the 5.0. With the Xcharger Xtreme my car runs mid 12's - it is always fun lining up against the V8's and beating them, and then have them discover it is a V6.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:02 PM
JimC

And as far as whether it was worth it? Yes, build up a GT with a supercharger and what do you have - another modified GT. Build a V6 and be able to run 12's and you have something unique.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:17 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
And as far as whether it was worth it? Yes, build up a GT with a supercharger and what do you have - another modified GT. Build a V6 and be able to run 12's and you have something unique.
Damn Jim you always hit it right on the head!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:00 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Well yes Jim, your car is almost impossibly fast, but I am pretty sure you have just a little, tiny bit more then just a supercharger. Stock GTs run mid 13s, and a supercharged V6 will get the job done a little faster. I am not arguing against supercharging a 6, infact, I am advocating for it, but atleast from what this guy says, he is just after speed. Maybe he doesn't even want to get a different car, has some attachment to his current one. I know I would never give up my V6 for another Mustang, that is for sure. But if you have the money and you want more power, truly a bigger engine is the way to go.

Anyways, I doubt OP will go out and buy another car. After re-reading his post, I am thinking he might not even be up for buying a supercharger. After all, if you have 7K to spend on a supercharger, why be worried about a few dollars a month insurance increase on a GT?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:06 AM
HenryinFlorida
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
If you plan on supercharging you'll have to get a new rear axle. that alone will run you around 1000.

Honestly, insurance on a GT is only about 20-40 bucks more a month than on a v6. (Through Farm Bureau at least)
He's 20 years old. I would bet that insurance would be at least that. And if you do the math, at $40 per month, that's $480 a year. quite an increase. That being said, a new GT with the 5.0 would be a really great ride.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

When I got my V6 I was origionally going to get an 09 GT. Insurance would have been 1000 dollars more EVERY 6 MONTHS
Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Actually when my dad checked with the insurance company (nationwide) on how much it would be for a GT over a V6 for me (17 year old) it was like 30 dollars a month. Certainly this depends on your area, driving record, age, parents, etc.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:26 AM
omarV6
2nd Gear Member

OP HERE:

my driving record isnt so good...and like MustangFirstCar said, i dont want to change cars..i really like the way im slowly building my V6, and to see it in the hands of someone else :/ not good...

and yes i am after more power, not necessarily looking to become the next fast in the furious out there (ill leave that for the ricers) i just love the way my car sounds when i turn it on every time, and i love to show it off to my buddies and beat them once in a while...

you mentioned a new engine? could i buy a custom built engine and it be cheaper than a supercharger? remember i do have an automatic car, not knowing if it really matters...
i am looking into the TCI ratchet shifter...idk
Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by omarV6
OP HERE:

my driving record isnt so good...and like MustangFirstCar said, i dont want to change cars..i really like the way im slowly building my V6, and to see it in the hands of someone else :/ not good...

and yes i am after more power, not necessarily looking to become the next fast in the furious out there (ill leave that for the ricers) i just love the way my car sounds when i turn it on every time, and i love to show it off to my buddies and beat them once in a while...

you mentioned a new engine? could i buy a custom built engine and it be cheaper than a supercharger? remember i do have an automatic car, not knowing if it really matters...
i am looking into the TCI ratchet shifter...idk
Depends on the supercharger and depends on the engine. It also depends on if you can do any of it yourself. If you were to swap in a 4.6 from a GT you could keep your same transmission (would still want a different driveshaft and rearend though), but otherwise it would be upgrade time.

Quick Reply: Supercharge a V6