Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID ballast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 PM
ryancolby
1st Gear Member

they are being mailed to me. but im pretty sure itd be for the halo light
Old 10-02-2011, 11:30 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryancolby
they are being mailed to me. but im pretty sure itd be for the halo light
If that does happen to be the case, then it should not prevent the use of the headlights as they may use the standard halogen bulbs...

Bad news is that if you do want HID headlights, then you will still need to pony up the dough to get a good kit...

If you choose to do this then get a kit from retro-solutions, as previously recommended... there are a number of threads that discuss the quality (or lack there of) by purchasing cheap kits from sites such as eBay. I am one of them. I ended up getting a set from Todd at Retro-Solutions and would not hesitate to do so again in the future.

Good luck,
Don
Old 10-03-2011, 01:33 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

i bought these used for $120, and he said they come with bulbs idk what kind yet, but he said i would need the ballast?
Wow, if you paid $120 for just the bulbs, you are about another $40 or less away from a good entire kit (minus taxes) at that price. Do you have the wiring harness for your bulbs and ballasts or would you need to purchase that separately too?

Todd from retro-solutions will answer any questions or concerns you have before purchasing. So I would suggest you give him a call and tell him exactly what you want to do.

Don't be discouraged by their site either. It may not look like AmericanMuscle or Amazon, but they are good company with good people. I too, would buy a second kit from them if I needed too.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:50 AM
ryancolby
1st Gear Member

well i got the whole headlight unit in it with the halo and everything..would i need the ballast? cause its not gonna be HID i guess
Old 10-03-2011, 08:44 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

well i got the whole headlight unit in it with the halo and everything..would i need the ballast? cause its not gonna be HID i guess
I would recommend giving the manufacturer a call (Raxiom I think...) or check out their website to see if they have a support section... Find out if their projector headlights are even compatible with HID's... I don't see why they wouldn't be, but you never know.

As far as the ballast for the CCFL, if you are not worried about the Halo effect, then you should be okay.

Good luck. I have never been a fan of the halo look, but the projector lens aspect might make the HID's perform better since most OEM HID's are in projector housings.

Don
Old 10-03-2011, 09:00 AM
HenryinFlorida
1st Gear Member

These are not HID lights. They are regular lights with a halo ring. If you look at teh produck on AM you see options for bulbs. These are stock replacement bulbs, not HID.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:49 AM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

oh those are not HIDs.lol terrible head lights.

CCFLs are terrible idea. If I remember right they are cold cathode fluorescent lights, same crap you find in your back lit displays. and I believe they contain mercury and require an inverter to get that high wattage out of them. and the fact the headlights themselves are ricey and not known for their illuminating abilities. but hey if you're going this route, I have halo fog lamps for sale.

Last edited by ironh19; 10-03-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:19 PM
ryancolby
1st Gear Member

christ.....fml
Old 10-03-2011, 12:32 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

christ.....fml
ouch... Sounds like you may have jumped in and bought something without knowing exactly what was being bought... don't feel bad... happens to the best of us. It's still too soon for buyer's remorse (if that's what you are conveying... hard to tell on messages as you probably already know...)

That said, lets try to salvage this for you... What exactly were you hoping to achieve by purchasing these? Were you looking for the halo effect, the projector look, HIDs, etc? What was the big draw for you?

Start listing what your expectations were and maybe we can make suggestions that might help you achieve them still..
Old 10-03-2011, 12:39 PM
ryancolby
1st Gear Member

ehh not remorsing it yet there coming in today, so ill decide then. i like the halos though thats why i got em, and their smoked so i might still love em

Quick Reply: HID ballast?