Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in a new car

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM
avbguy9

Default Breaking in a new car

So I'm finally a week or 2 away from getting my first mustang but its in Maryland and I'm in CT. I've done some reading about driving a brand new car but was curious what some of you had to say about the matter. Is the advice in a post like this accurate? http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Would_you_...car_be_shipped
Thanks, any help appreciated.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:17 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

I would say it has some helpful tips. I would agree to make sure the fluids are in the car so that you don't drive 10 miles and the engine locks. (however, I feel this is highly unlikely)

I have always been told that you break the car in as you intend to drive it. Especially as a new car. I have never heard of the "never drive it faster than 70mph on the first 1000miles.

If it is used, then you need to look the car over for all the typical and personal evaluations you have to try to ensure you are not getting a lemon.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:12 AM
Stin42
1st Gear Member

I would really pay attention to the vary the revs suggestion. I took that one to heart on the advice of an engine builder I know. When I got mine I would be anywhere from idle to 5k+ rpm and I would vary it a lot I felt a bit conspicuous at lights but it was worth it. Obviously don't beat on it as your break in process but I attribute doing this for the first month I had mine to my faster than my mods allow ETs.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:45 AM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Drive it like you stole it!!!!! These myths are a thing of the past, the very distant past.....do not baby it!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:29 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Ive heard of the varying speed as many people have told me not to use cruise for the first 1000 miles or so. I have also heard about the keeping under 70 recommendation.

Either way, its really up to the driver. I would definitely try to follow the varying speed recommendation and maybe not track it in the first 1k miles....but whether you baby it or drive it like you normally would, I dont think you'll notice a long term difference.

Just think...all those cars on the lot..that have 40+ miles...those definitely aren't babied miles...especially in the mustang GT.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:12 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

In the manual it states the break in period is 100 miles, it tells you to very the RPM ranges to allow the "moving parts" to break in.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
In the manual it states the break in period is 100 miles, it tells you to very the RPM ranges to allow the "moving parts" to break in.
The best advice^^^

I also like "drive it like you stole it". Kidding

Good luck with the new car and remember to post some pics!!

Where are you in CT? I'm in Milford.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Just drive it. The only recommendation that I'd heed is to vary the RPM's as much as possible the first few hundred miles. But don't get **** about it.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:54 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by avbguy9
So I'm finally a week or 2 away from getting my first mustang but its in Maryland and I'm in CT. I've done some reading about driving a brand new car but was curious what some of you had to say about the matter.
Originally Posted by LordRipberger
I would say it has some helpful tips. I would agree to make sure the fluids are in the car so that you don't drive 10 miles and the engine locks. (however, I feel this is highly unlikely)

I have always been told that you break the car in as you intend to drive it. Especially as a new car. I have never heard of the "never drive it faster than 70mph on the first 1000miles.
Congrats on your new Mustang, avbguy9!

The break-in tips are on page 6 of the Owner's Guide: Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

Drive your new vehicle at least 100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before performance/competition conditions.

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
I think you forgot a 0.

Have a great weekend!

~Natasha
Old 10-14-2011, 04:00 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

When I had my 07 new I just varied the rpms for the first 200 miles or so, then just drove it normally or had fun in it. It's new and under warranty so if it breaks you can get it fixed, unless you hit something or blow the engine drag racing it. Good luck and enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Breaking in a new car