Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the dreaded p0340 code today....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:50 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

Default Got the dreaded p0340 code today....

As the title states, I am getting the p0340 code, p0344 and p0345.

I'm tired of reading at this point, so is the general consenus to replace the alternator and all your worries will go away?

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

That's how I fixed my problems with the 06. They came with really crappy alternators
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Yes, replace the alternator and you should be fine.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:42 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Join the club
Old 10-21-2011, 12:08 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

How many miles do you have on your car?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:22 PM
TWOKOOL
2nd Gear Member

$180.00 for a new alternator, 35 minutes, couple of cold beers and you are as good as new!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:36 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

Do you guys recommend any better aftermarket alternators as opposed to the Ford part? Just wanting to make a mental note for down the road...
Old 11-01-2011, 07:52 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

Alright,

I had the alternator tested at AutoZone, they sad it was good.

I had the alternator tested at a "mom/pop" shop, they said it was good.

So, I went ahead and replaced the driver side camshaft sensor. Guess what, the light came back on, p0340, p0344 and some abs codes.

Funny thing, prior to the codes above, I was also throwing rich codes along with the p0340/p0344.

Is it really the alternator?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Those codes are a PITA. Everyone says it's the alternator, but in my case it was ultimately the battery. I actually had changed my cams, and I was so scared it was something to do with the cams/sensors/timing. Even threw an alternator at it. In the end, it was a failed battery. Having the failed battery was even causing the car to miss wildly, seeming like it was running on about 6 cylinders instead of 8, nothing was working right, even the guage cluster was screwed up. Who whould have thought that was all done by a failed battery that was throwing cam sensor/cam-crank correlation issue codes????

So sorry you're getting these codes. It seems they are the biggest pain in the world on these cars. It can be any number of things, almost all of which have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with what the codes are related to, and that's what sometimes makes them such an annoyance It'd be nice if those codes would just pertain to the issue they describe!! My case like I said was the battery, most people it seems to be the alternator, I've seen it being a grounding strap issue, as well as the sensors themselves. I really hope you can get it sorted out!

EDIT: Oh, and when I was chasing my problem, I had read that the alternators in these cars can throw the codes without actually being "failed". That's why I ultimately threw an alternator at mine even though it tested good (and turned out to not be the issue anyway). Not sure if that's true, but you may want to research that more, or maybe someone else knows for sure! Because it seems that at least 90% of the time, those codes are the alternator.

Last edited by OhEightGT; 11-01-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Forgot something...
Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OhEightGT
Those codes are a PITA. Everyone says it's the alternator, but in my case it was ultimately the battery. I actually had changed my cams, and I was so scared it was something to do with the cams/sensors/timing. Even threw an alternator at it. In the end, it was a failed battery. Having the failed battery was even causing the car to miss wildly, seeming like it was running on about 6 cylinders instead of 8, nothing was working right, even the guage cluster was screwed up. Who whould have thought that was all done by a failed battery that was throwing cam sensor/cam-crank correlation issue codes????

So sorry you're getting these codes. It seems they are the biggest pain in the world on these cars. It can be any number of things, almost all of which have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with what the codes are related to, and that's what sometimes makes them such an annoyance It'd be nice if those codes would just pertain to the issue they describe!! My case like I said was the battery, most people it seems to be the alternator, I've seen it being a grounding strap issue, as well as the sensors themselves. I really hope you can get it sorted out!

EDIT: Oh, and when I was chasing my problem, I had read that the alternators in these cars can throw the codes without actually being "failed". That's why I ultimately threw an alternator at mine even though it tested good (and turned out to not be the issue anyway). Not sure if that's true, but you may want to research that more, or maybe someone else knows for sure! Because it seems that at least 90% of the time, those codes are the alternator.
Yuck,

Thanks for the info. I wish it were the battery, however, the battery is new. I'll let everyone know tomorrow what the outcome is as the new alternator is sitting in my wifes car now and I plan on putting it on when I get home after work tonight.

Quick Reply: Got the dreaded p0340 code today....