Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasti Dip Kits!! Yes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:07 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang0672
To me plasti dip is the same concept as if you were to take a paint can and spray paint you car..looks cheap! If you want black wheels buy the real thing...if you can't afford it save up..I have heard stories of the finish coming off when trying to feel plastdip off. Maybe if someone had some close up pictures I might retract the above statement. I just do not see how some random plasti dip can would make your wheels look good..
Have you ever thought matte black painted wheels looked good? That's how they would look with plasti dip when its done right...

I love people who call anything a ricer mod just because it's an inexpensive solution to a problem. I wouldn't do stripes, but I'll probably at least try it out on my emblems and then maybe on my wheels just to see if it protects them from the winter weather a bit, then I'll just peel it right off.

Don't see how it would hurt the finish of wheels though since it's literally dried on rubber, not a bonding spray.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Have you ever thought matte black painted wheels looked good? That's how they would look with plasti dip when its done right...

I love people who call anything a ricer mod just because it's an inexpensive solution to a problem. I wouldn't do stripes, but I'll probably at least try it out on my emblems and then maybe on my wheels just to see if it protects them from the winter weather a bit, then I'll just peel it right off.

Don't see how it would hurt the finish of wheels though since it's literally dried on rubber, not a bonding spray.
Matte black wheels look good. Is this what plasti dip looks like when applied?
I wouldn't call it a ricer mod I was just saying that I don't see how a can from a autozone store could look any good. Maybe it does any pictures?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

There's a thread floating around in the forum, or actually I think two of them in here, that have some people's experiments with plasti dip. I'm betting that it's a matter of how bad you want it that makes a difference on this one. If you really take your time and work out something nice, then you can end up with a good looking project, while those that quickly get to work and do a half *** job, will make it look like a really bad rattle can job lol.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:39 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

Plasti dipped wheels on my 2011 V6, this is the best pic I have

Can of duplicolor wheel coating from AutoZone for 5 bucks more than plasti dip looks like this:
Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang0672
To me plasti dip is the same concept as if you were to take a paint can and spray paint you car..looks cheap! If you want black wheels buy the real thing...if you can't afford it save up..I have heard stories of the finish coming off when trying to feel plastdip off. Maybe if someone had some close up pictures I might retract the above statement. I just do not see how some random plasti dip can would make your wheels look good..
Its an interim measure while I'm waiting for a reply on my job applications and then I'll have some money for those Saleen rims I fancy so.

I use Rustoleum engine enamel on almost anything small I need blackened. This seems like a good way to do larger things.

Pics above are amazing by the way.

Last edited by Young_Gun; 10-24-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 PM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

i just plasti-dipped a set of winter wheels I picked up last month. looks great. if you want close ups of wheels done with it, just go to you tube. I don't expect it to last more than a few months, but they're winter wheels so I don't care. I would never spray this on my car's paint or anything like that. lower rocker panels, wheels and emblems are where I draw the line.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

It's a ricer mod.

It's on the same level as being in high school and drawing tattoos on yourself to look cool.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
It's a ricer mod.

It's on the same level as being in high school and drawing tattoos on yourself to look cool.
Rice is defined as doing things to your car that is NOT FAST, to make IT LOOK FAST.

How does matte black paint make something look fast?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:59 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
Rice is defined as doing things to your car that is NOT FAST, to make IT LOOK FAST.

How does matte black paint make something look fast?
Apparently modifying your car to suit your taste in looks is "ricer". The word rice is getting thrown around too often recently, misunderstood to mean, "I don't like the way that looks"
Old 10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Apparently modifying your car to suit your taste in looks is "ricer". The word rice is getting thrown around too often recently, misunderstood to mean, "I don't like the way that looks"
Or, "cheap alternative to something more expensive and time-consuming, often prone to being done incorrectly"

DIY painting vs $7 plastidip.

Powdercoating vs DIY painting.

etc.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip Kits!! Yes!