Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accidentally Started Automatic Tranny in 3rd Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Default Accidentally Started Automatic Tranny in 3rd Gear?

Well, I’m new to automatics, at least on Mustangs, and for some reason, I was always under the impression that if you leave the tranny in 3rd gear, at a stop it will shift down to first but not shift above 3rd.
On the Mustang, it appears that if you shift to 3rd, it locks into gear and will not change up or down!

I realized it of course when I took off that I was still in 3rd, but it was surprisingly smooth and didn’t seem to bother the car any. But I won’t be making a habit of it that’s for sure.

I just hope that doing so didn’t do any damage or major strain to the drivetrain?

Anybody else experience this?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:24 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

I would expect it to downshift to first when you stop. If you have 60k - 80k miles, I suggest a good trans service. I don't know Ford automatics, but I would be suspicious of shift solenoids in any late model GM that didn't return to first in this scenario.

You didn't hurt anything. Be more concerned with this as a symptom of another problem.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:30 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
I would expect it to downshift to first when you stop. If you have 60k - 80k miles, I suggest a good trans service. I don't know Ford automatics, but I would be suspicious of shift solenoids in any late model GM that didn't return to first in this scenario.

You didn't hurt anything. Be more concerned with this as a symptom of another problem.
Yup, I just spoke with a Ford tech at my local dealership, apparently if you leave it in 3rd gear, it is designed to be "locked" into that gear. It will not shift down to first at a stop.

I also checked the manual, it appears that this is the standard function of our automatics.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Some times being able to start off in 2nd or third will help in snow or mud.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:39 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SD 197
Yup, I just spoke with a Ford tech at my local dealership, apparently if you leave it in 3rd gear, it is designed to be "locked" into that gear. It will not shift down to first at a stop.

I also checked the manual, it appears that this is the standard function of our automatics.

This is normal on many auto's for winter driving to limit tq..
Old 11-01-2011, 01:46 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

yeah, I've played around with the gears in my car.
You can start off in 1st, second, or 3rd. You'll stay in that gear unless you manually change it. As they said, starting in higher gears is better for slick traction areas. (Maybe it saves mpg's too?)

When you are in D with the Overdrive OFF, your shift points change. You'll stay in the lower gears at higher speeds, when you'd usually upshift. O/D off is good for racing.
Turning O/D off WILL NOT lock you out of fifth. After you hit the redline in fourth it'll kick you into 5th.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:24 PM
MustangFTW

Originally Posted by kput
yeah, I've played around with the gears in my car.
You can start off in 1st, second, or 3rd. You'll stay in that gear unless you manually change it. As they said, starting in higher gears is better for slick traction areas. (Maybe it saves mpg's too?)

When you are in D with the Overdrive OFF, your shift points change. You'll stay in the lower gears at higher speeds, when you'd usually upshift. O/D off is good for racing.
Turning O/D off WILL NOT lock you out of fifth. After you hit the redline in fourth it'll kick you into 5th.
starting in 3rd on regular basis cant be good for the engine.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:36 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

I've started off in 3rd in my manual before. It takes a little work on the clutch, and probably isn't real good-like for said clutch in the long run, but it's by no means too much for the engine. I can't see you having any problems, as long as you don't floor it in 3rd and lug the engine (which will chew up bearings).
Old 11-01-2011, 02:47 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

A couple years ago I got surprised after work with nasty ice
and a long stretch of stop & go on the highway.
Taking off in 3rd came in handy.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:08 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I start it on 3rd occasionally, or 2nd depending on weather conditions (snow/ice means 2nd).

There's nothing wrong with your car OP, if you are selecting your own gears then the car will only up shift if you near redline. It will NEVER downshift for you however, I would advise you only downshift at low speeds after blipping the throttle a little (keeps the downshifts from jerking and making that god awful noise), but I wouldn't recommend the rolling downshifts in our autos very often (if anything, THAT would be harmful to the tranny). If you are in the habit of using the gear select mode, then only downshift at stops.

Quick Reply: Accidentally Started Automatic Tranny in 3rd Gear?