Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Default Battery Help

Recently my car has been taking a little longer to start and the radio resets like the battery was unplugged. I checked out the battery and noticed the negative clamp was cracked and there was some blue-green corrosion on it. I cleaned the corrosion and attached the clamp as best I could but the problem seems worse now. I'm assuming this needs to be replaced, is this the part I want http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...attery%20Cable ? and how hard is it to replace?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Use the search feature to find a ton of info on the S197's mediocre battery & charging system. If you still have the OE MotorCrap battery, then it's past due for replacement. And if you see blueish green fuzzies on a battery terminal, it's definitely time to replace it.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 AM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Ok, as for the cable anywhere I can find install info? I'm sure it can't be that hard but I'd like to know what I'm doing before I start.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

definitely sounds like the same problems I was having...you need a new battery.

To test it, I had someone jump my car. It started up perfectly with the cables hooked up. = new battery.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 AM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
definitely sounds like the same problems I was having...you need a new battery.

To test it, I had someone jump my car. It started up perfectly with the cables hooked up. = new battery.
I'll definitely be buying a new battery, but if one clamp is cracked in sure the cables will also require replacement. Just want to know how exactly to do this.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:11 AM
06v6Enigma

is ur battery light coming on in ur dash board by chance? cause mine did that but my battery was fine (got it tested with car on then off) cause somebody allready replaced it before i got it and then i found out it was my alternator! $300 later it was replaced O.O! sounds like it's just the battery honestly just thought i'd give u a heads up on alternator info as well >.>!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06v6Enigma
is ur battery light coming on in ur dash board by chance? cause mine did that but my battery was fine (got it tested with car on then off) cause somebody allready replaced it before i got it and then i found out it was my alternator! $300 later it was replaced O.O! sounds like it's just the battery honestly just thought i'd give u a heads up on alternator info as well >.>!
No, car is fine (no lights or anything) except slow start up and radio reset.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:50 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

My positive cable terminal was eaten away.
I bought a cable terminal at Autozone.
They have all kinds of top post cable terminals.
I did not replace the cable.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 PM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rls82959
My positive cable terminal was eaten away.
I bought a cable terminal at Autozone.
They have all kinds of top post cable terminals.
I did not replace the cable.
Did you just clamp the new one on or solder/crimp?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:24 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

You may not need a new clamp. As long as the crack hasn't broken the clamp in half it should still work.

I would agree it sounds like you need a new battery. Go to NAPA and ask them to check your battery. They will do it for free. They can tell you if it needs to be replaced.

Also, if you battery has "eyes" (could be spelled incorrectly, I am not sure) you may be able to tell yourself. This will be a small viewing hole on your battery. Look into it, if you see anything else besides green, it needs to be replaced.

Corrosion (green fuzzy stuff) is usually a good indication of bad battery too. Make sure to clean this off before attaching the new battery.

Quick Reply: Battery Help