Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

underdrive pullies

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:38 AM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Default underdrive pullies

i want to get some more mods for my car, and the nice thing about my job at school is that they don't deduct for taxes so i know how much money i'll make based on the hours i work. i was thinking about buying myself some steeda under drive pullies as an early christmas present but i wasn't sure if they were worth the cost. are there any other brands that are respectable? and are the gains that good with under drive pullies? let me know if you guys think this is a wise decision.

p.s. i also noticed that a buddy of mine has the same steed cai as me, but he got the carbon fiber inlet. he bought all of his stuff from american muscle. does the carbon fiber inlet help out that much? i noticed it was a good bit more than a cai/tune combo without the inlet. all help is greatly appreciated. hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving. cheers
Old 11-28-2011, 10:57 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by m5miler
i want to get some more mods for my car, and the nice thing about my job at school is that they don't deduct for taxes so i know how much money i'll make based on the hours i work. i was thinking about buying myself some steeda under drive pullies as an early christmas present but i wasn't sure if they were worth the cost. are there any other brands that are respectable? and are the gains that good with under drive pullies? let me know if you guys think this is a wise decision.

p.s. i also noticed that a buddy of mine has the same steed cai as me, but he got the carbon fiber inlet. he bought all of his stuff from american muscle. does the carbon fiber inlet help out that much? i noticed it was a good bit more than a cai/tune combo without the inlet. all help is greatly appreciated. hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving. cheers
First, do you plan on going forced induction at some time in the near future, such as supercharger? If so, I would pass. It would be money you could apply towards that and they would likely have to come off anyways for a supercharger that is belt driven. Turbo, not so much an issue, but definitely with a S/C. If you do get some, I hear the Steeda ones are pretty good.

Secondly, and way O/T... that's great that you "know how much money i'll make based on the hours i work" because the tax isn't taken out, but I have a few question for you... Do you file single or are your parents still claiming you on their taxes? If you file single, do you put any money aside for tax time? If not, I would encourage you to consider this, especially if this is your first time filing and may not have the benefit of prior tax filings to be aware of your tax obligations. If you have filed in the past, just remember that tax laws change every year and you don't want to owe Uncle Sam or your state come April 15th... I remember what it was like when I worked at the college post office... Same situation, but I lived in GA at the time and had to file personal income taxes that first year. I faired fine, but that was 16 years ago so things could be different.

Thirdly, I don't see how the cost of the CF intake is justified, except for aesthetics... It certainly won't make a difference to the car what the tube is made of... flow rates and intake temps would be more concerning.

Good luck,
Don

Last edited by BigDinTexas; 11-28-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:51 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Save your money for something a bit more meaningfull such as gears and or cams and or lt's. U wont notice the gains from the underdrive pullies. If your looking for a NA build then that might be something you would do when u had everything else done just to free your car up from some parasitic drag
Old 11-28-2011, 12:55 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I have the Steeda UDP and have been pretty happy with them. It's always nice to free up some HP
Old 11-28-2011, 02:38 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

i just bought a set of Steeda UDP's on sale. I thought it was worth it, since I most likely wont be getting a SuperCharger.Plus they look a lot nicer than the stock rusty pulley, which I'd have to take off to paint anyways.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:44 PM
case ace
1st Gear Member

Default UDP

m5,

just wanted to let you know I have a brand new, unused set that I purchased prior to installing my ROUSH M90 supercharger. I will sell them to you at a decent price if you still want them. I believe I paid $220. I will sell them for half - $110, and you pay shipping. I am located in the Chicago area. If you're interested, let me know.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

UDP's will free-up about 5 RWHP.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:12 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
UDP's will free-up about 5 RWHP.
Not worth it IMO unless like mentioned above if you are building it to be N/A and want to squeeze every little bit out...