Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q about Fuel filters...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
This is the one I always go with:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2515&ppt=C0023

Wix filter
Same one I used this last time!

I actually sawed my OEM one in half about 2 years or so ago when I changed it and it was paper, pretty dark brown/black color too!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:13 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

My car an 06 has the original one I there with 23k miles. I've never done this job before, is it a simple swap?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
My car an 06 has the original one I there with 23k miles. I've never done this job before, is it a simple swap?
It's pretty basic to do. Jack up the driver side and there is a cover you unscrew. It was harder to pop out the 06 fuel filter as I think 07 + got an easier pop out tab/system. Either way, it pops out and you just snap the new one back in.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I am about to have to change my fuel filter too. Can you describe the procedure of how to prevent fuel from spewing out the ends of both the lines from the tank end line and the engine end line?
If purging the tank and engine fuel rails dry, how do I do it properly?
Will the injectors be damaged if operated without fuel in the lines? If yes, what is the proper procedure to prime the lines again so the injectors don't ever have to run while dry?

Also, what is the feasibility of running two fuel filters in line for a longer change interval?
Or would doing this put too much back pressure on the fuel pump that enough fuel would not get to the fuel rails?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:35 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Proper procedure is to first pull your fuel pump fuse, attempt to start the car for a short while to use up some of the fuel in the fuel lines, then raise her up and start the replacement procedure. There's no way to entirely purge the lines of gas as I found out when i replaced my girlfriends filter.

Key when you replace it, is that after just replace the fuse for the fuel pumps, cycle the key to "on" a few times, to fill back the fuel lines and filter, and then you're good to go.

I use WIX for all of my filters, very good quality, affordable prices, to me there's no better way to go. I also always order from www.rockauto.com, by far the best prices around whether you want to go motorcraft, wix, delco, whatever. Shipping isn't free, but when I order I just pick up a couple of each filter I'll need in the next year or two, and then its easily worth it.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Proper procedure is to first pull your fuel pump fuse, attempt to start the car for a short while to use up some of the fuel in the fuel lines, then raise her up and start the replacement procedure. There's no way to entirely purge the lines of gas as I found out when i replaced my girlfriends filter.

Key when you replace it, is that after just replace the fuse for the fuel pumps, cycle the key to "on" a few times, to fill back the fuel lines and filter, and then you're good to go.
Thanks so much for the info!
I just want to get this right, when you reinstall the fuse and turn the key just to "on," it causes the fuel pumps to recharge the lines so that the injectors never see any air through them?

I guess I might be too paranoid here. I know that certain diesel direct injectors are destroyed if they are pulsed dry; they must have fuel in them at all times of their operation.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I've always just pulled the filter without pulling any fuses or anything like that.... Some fuel comes out but its not like holy **** a lot....
Old 12-03-2011, 04:52 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Thanks so much for the info!
I just want to get this right, when you reinstall the fuse and turn the key just to "on," it causes the fuel pumps to recharge the lines so that the injectors never see any air through them?

I guess I might be too paranoid here. I know that certain diesel direct injectors are destroyed if they are pulsed dry; they must have fuel in them at all times of their operation.
There is a sticky on this topic BTW. Not sure how different it is on a 11+ though.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:55 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
There is a sticky on this topic BTW. Not sure how different it is on a 11+ though.
The Coyote part is what I am afraid of. I do not know if the Coyote injectors are designed like the 4.6L injectors, much less if pulsing them dry will damaged them.

Dang
Old 12-03-2011, 05:44 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Pdonket, thanks for the info. I plan to change mine soon.

Quick Reply: Q about Fuel filters...