Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Default Window Tint Questions

So I've been looking around for some good tint companies around Indiana, and after finding a few it seems they all generally use the same material. Such as, llamars or 3M, etc. And I was wondering what brands you guys would recommend? Are the ones above any good? I am aware of the "felt/moleskin" liner I will need to keep the window from scratching, however would it be more prudent to let the shop do this, or is it better for a DIY?

Also, I read in another thread that it is ok to use the defroster (rear) after the tint has "cured", does anyone know how long this process is? It's getting cold here, and I will need to thaw my windows during those cold nights, can't afford to leave my car inactive for more than a week or two.

Moreover, has anyone had their tint fade on them, or turn purple as I see on some old, cheaper cars? I am quite worried about that, and as such, I would like some recommendations on what type of tint to use (brand) to avoid that.

I know there aren't many Indiana peeps on here, but I was just curious (in case some of you stumble upon this thread) about your preferred shops to get tint done at? I am having a hard time finding any well known and reputable companies.

And before I go out and get any more quotes, I was told by one shop that they will charge over $250 for the rear glass, and all the side glass (NOT the front windshield though). Those are the places I specified I wanted tint, however do you guys think that is a fair price? What would you/did you guys pay for your tinting? Anyone have pics of 25-35% tint of their cars that they would like to share?

Thanks again, I appreciate any help I can get on the matter.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I purchased a Groupon for window tinting back in August for Xtreme Vehicle Designs here in Noblesville, $79 for all windows, except windshield. I haven't brought my car in yet. IMO, it was a great deal, I'd keep an eye out and see if that groupon comes around again. I actually stopped there once before to inquiry and their regular prices are insane for car detailing.. Got lucky on the Groupon.

I'm not sure on the percentage of tint I want to get yet.

http://www.xtremevehicledesigns.com/
Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Yeah I did hear about that place, seems pretty good. Wow, good find on the coupon! I might have to look into that lol, especially considering the lifetime warranty. Do you know if you're getting your windshield tinted?

Thanks for the link though, gonna have to get a quote from them, hopefully it's better than the last shop lol.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

When I first got my car it had slightly purple tint on it and the rear window was bubbled up. I had it redone for $175, all windows including an eyebrow, 5% all around, with a life-time warranty. It would not have been quite so much, but the guy had to take quite a bit of time to pull off the bubbled up rear tint.

The guy told me the tint would take two days to cure. I had mine done in the winter too.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:10 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Oh 2 days isn't too bad I guess, lol. Yeah upon further evaluation, the guy charging 250 seems to be overcharging by a good amount... And the auto-spa place near where I live didn't even know about the felt liner the mustang needed... Yeah, not giving my car to those guys.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:51 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Oh 2 days isn't too bad I guess, lol. Yeah upon further evaluation, the guy charging 250 seems to be overcharging by a good amount... And the auto-spa place near where I live didn't even know about the felt liner the mustang needed... Yeah, not giving my car to those guys.
You have an 08 and may already have the required weatherstripping... I ordered the replacement ones from Tousley Ford and they were an 08 part number. If you do not have the correct weatherstripping already, order the OEM part and be assured the "moleskin" will not come away... The reason I had to order the new ones is the previous owner did the DIY version like in the stickies, but after a year or so, the adhesive was losing its strength and the damn thing came off... With the OEM never ever an issue again.

Don
Old 12-15-2011, 06:01 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Yeah I did hear about that place, seems pretty good. Wow, good find on the coupon! I might have to look into that lol, especially considering the lifetime warranty. Do you know if you're getting your windshield tinted?

Thanks for the link though, gonna have to get a quote from them, hopefully it's better than the last shop lol.
No, I won't be getting my (front) windshield tinted since it's my DD. Boy would it look hot but I'm having issues driving in the dark as it is. Wouldn't be a good idea for me LOL. I might have to go with a lighter tint just because of that fact.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:05 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Yeah I hear 30% is legal in Indiana, so I might just go with that... 25% would be lovely, but I just don't want to risk it. =( I need to grow a spine lol.

@bigdin; That is good info, thanks. I will ask my dealership about it when I go in this week for an oil. Maybe they can shed some light on it, hopefully you are right about my car lol. Would be nice to have one less headache to deal with before tinting, especially in this cold weather.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:05 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

Can't go wrong with 3M or Llumar. I have Llumar tint on my car now, 15% all sides and their 80% Air Blue tint on the front windshield.

Yes, $250 is way too much. I had the dealership install 35% tint on my 2011 V6 the day after I bought it - all sides and rear for $190.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

That looks really good goodfun gt, even for 35% it looks nice and dark. No police trouble I assume?

I think I'll be going 30 since it is the legal in Indiana, and I doubt cops will stop me for 5 or so % over in other states... I did not know dealerships do tint, I'll have to ask mine about that too then.

Hopefully I can get some better quotes this weekend lol.

Quick Reply: Window Tint Questions