Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

I got LLumar 50 on mine about 4 months ago. Cost me about $225 with the windshield included. The windshield was done with Air Blue, which kills the UV and heat with a very light tint. I knew I didn't want the cave effect, and after trying the 30, 38 and 50 samples, I went with the 50. It's still kinda tough to see out of my side windows at night in dark places, but it really killed the heat when the car has been sitting in the sun. I can reach out and grab my chrome seat belt buckle without suffering 2nd degree burns, and when I get in, my clothes don't start smoldering. LOL I think getting the windshield done was a good choice. No sense in having protection on 3 sides and leaving the big one in front bare.

Totally worth the money.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:14 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323
I got 3M on mine last year around October. 5% on the back windows and 20% on the side windows. Paid $80 and I have not had any problems with it (aside from a few scratches, but I've read that that's a problem with everyone). They did it in like 30-40 minutes.
Whoa, that is a good price. Man, I really need to shop around more all the quotes I'm getting are for like 150+

Maybe I'll have my dad go get them, I dunno if they see a teenager and think easy money or what...
Old 12-17-2011, 03:39 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Yeah, as I was reading through the thread, I couldn't believe some of the prices others paid lol. And I'm 21, 20 at the time of the tints so I guess you really gotta look around. My guess would be that they charged so little cuz there's 3 tint shops on that same corner, so its most likely about competition. Good luck finding a good price, your car will look better and won't get too hot on those hot days.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:06 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

There is a Groupon out today for car window tinting. Never heard of this place.. Solar Control, so I can't vouch for them, but if you're on a budget, this might be something to consider. Supposedly for $125, you get 2 front, 2 rear, rear windshield. They don't seem to just specialize in cars though.

http://www.groupon.com/ch/grouponicu...olis?c=dnb&p=5

http://www.solarcontrolwindowtinting.com/index.php
Old 12-19-2011, 04:49 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Thanks alkemist! I actually got an appointment with a company called Indy Auto Shading. I was at the tom wood dealership and I asked them to refer me to one of their tinting companies they use, and they gave me this guy's number.

Got a quote for $110 for all windows except the front. Apparently he is also a mobile tint guy, so he will be coming to the dealership and tinting it there. I thought, for 110 bucks it's a pretty cheap gamble as I can always have it removed and redone later.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
You have an 08 and may already have the required weatherstripping... I ordered the replacement ones from Tousley Ford and they were an 08 part number. If you do not have the correct weatherstripping already, order the OEM part and be assured the "moleskin" will not come away... The reason I had to order the new ones is the previous owner did the DIY version like in the stickies, but after a year or so, the adhesive was losing its strength and the damn thing came off... With the OEM never ever an issue again.

Don
Great info! Thanks for this, my tint is scratched so bad. I was going to go moleskin for when I get them re-done, but this sounds like a much better plan! Do you remember how much they were at the dealer?
Old 12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Thanks alkemist! I actually got an appointment with a company called Indy Auto Shading. I was at the tom wood dealership and I asked them to refer me to one of their tinting companies they use, and they gave me this guy's number.

Got a quote for $110 for all windows except the front. Apparently he is also a mobile tint guy, so he will be coming to the dealership and tinting it there. I thought, for 110 bucks it's a pretty cheap gamble as I can always have it removed and redone later.
yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable, especially when they will come to you. What tint brand does this guy use?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Honestly I am not 100% sure but I think I remember him giving me a choice of off-brand or 3M, he said llumar is something he uses but apparently he favors the "metallic" properties of 3M or something like that.

Eh, whatever I guess I will give him a chance. Lifetime warranty so I don't think it could go TOO wrong if I cheap out this once lol.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:09 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

So I got them done, and had a crappy pic session with my cell phone... Here are the results, they look a little darker in the pics for some reason but you get the idea.

What you see on the rear is just water from the rain tonight... Weather has been like this non-stop.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

what % you go with?
damn i need to find me a lifetime warranty around here.
best I have found is a 10 year for 230 all around

Quick Reply: Window Tint Questions