Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some More Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Gan6660
1st Gear Member

Default Some More Problems

I bought a 2010 V6 back in September and it had a problem where it would shake when braking. No big deal they shaved the rotors down and I was on my way. Now that braking problem is coming back, the front right wheel is "thumping" while braking. The other issue is that when I put the car in reverse it won't always move, Ill press the gas and the engine just revs but the car won't move. I have to put it back in park wait a fews seconds and then put it back in reverse. Hopefully its not a big problem but Id rather get it fixed under warranty than have to pay down the line. Now these problems are nothing more than a nuisance now but when the warranty runs out there going to add up. Anyone else have something similar?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like one of the brake calipers is not releasing properly. If you jack up the car, at least one may not turn by hand easily. I think this caused the rotors to warp when you got the car and just got worse over time. Shaving the rotors (imo) makes the problem come back sooner, and much worse, as the rotors are smaller and weaker than they were when they were new. It doesn't address the source of the problem. Turning the rotors can take out scratches, but is pretty worthless long term if the rotor warps.
BTW, I'd never allow a dealer to turn(shave) the rotors under warranty, I'd have them replace parts in matched sets, both front and/or both rear, along with new pads and new calipers if needed. Rotors are actually pretty cheap, they are usually about 2x the cost of turning. I always just replace them if they need to be turned (shaved).
Old 12-16-2011, 12:13 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

As for the shifter problem, you may just need to have your shifter linkage tightened up. Mine was doing that a while back.. indicating that it was in D when it was actually in 3, etc.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Gan6660
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Sounds like one of the brake calipers is not releasing properly. If you jack up the car, at least one may not turn by hand easily. I think this caused the rotors to warp when you got the car and just got worse over time. Shaving the rotors (imo) makes the problem come back sooner, and much worse, as the rotors are smaller and weaker than they were when they were new. It doesn't address the source of the problem. Turning the rotors can take out scratches, but is pretty worthless long term if the rotor warps.
BTW, I'd never allow a dealer to turn(shave) the rotors under warranty, I'd have them replace parts in matched sets, both front and/or both rear, along with new pads and new calipers if needed. Rotors are actually pretty cheap, they are usually about 2x the cost of turning. I always just replace them if they need to be turned (shaved).
Thanks. I was going to push for them to replace everything this time around not just the front ones. The calipers are pretty rusted so Im not sure if that is out of the ordinary?

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
As for the shifter problem, you may just need to have your shifter linkage tightened up. Mine was doing that a while back.. indicating that it was in D when it was actually in 3, etc.
Thanks. After talking on the phone with the dealer they were saying it could be anything from low fluid to having to drop the whole transmission and that kind of had me worried. Is the transmission covered under a longer warranty than the bumper to bumper?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Gan6660
1st Gear Member

Anyone ever hear of rotors only being covered once under warranty? I took the car in today and the guy was like you already had them shaved once so I don't think its covered anymore.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Well, in my slightly deranged mind, my thought process tells me that what they did before did not fix the problem. The rotors being warped and shaved is not a repair. They should replace them. Do you have another dealership reasonably close? Contact the Ford Service Rep here on the board. Maybe they can help.

Don
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Gan6660
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Well, in my slightly deranged mind, my thought process tells me that what they did before did not fix the problem. The rotors being warped and shaved is not a repair. They should replace them. Do you have another dealership reasonably close? Contact the Ford Service Rep here on the board. Maybe they can help.

Don
It was working fine and then just started happening again a few weeks ago. I actually brought it to a different dealer today because it was closer than the other but they were saying that the brakes/rotors aren't covered because it was worked on by a different dealer. They also said the shifting issue might be a "transmission update" which isn't covered under warranty, now I don't know much about cars but Ive never heard of a "transmission update". Lastly I told them how my Sync won't connect to my phone over bluetooth unless I manually tell it to every time. This was the only problem they weren't complaining about but saying they may have to replace the whole radio. Ill hear from them by 5 apparently so Ill see what they say and go from there. It just doesn't make sense that service performed by a Ford dealer negates the warranty anyway else.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gan6660
They also said the shifting issue might be a "transmission update" which isn't covered under warranty....
Heh, they're really giving you the run around. The tranny is covered by a 5 year/50K mile warranty.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Gan6660
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
Heh, they're really giving you the run around. The tranny is covered by a 5 year/50K mile warranty.
I figured. Apparently theres nothing wrong with it and now Im being charged a diagnostics fee. Is a shame to, I really like this car and was looking forward to future ones. I guess what most people say about Ford is true.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:32 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gan6660
I guess what most people say about Ford is true.
I don't know what people have said that is true, but I think the service advisor you are dealing with may be screwing you.

Hopefully the FordCustomerService person will chime in here soon to see what can be done. I personally think that Fords are great. Their dealerships are not. There are great ones out there, but they are few and far between.

Don

Quick Reply: Some More Problems