Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will a tune do for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ski
Nice gains.
Were the B&A results both SAE corrected?
Also, it appears something may have been wrong with the engine during the baseline run considering the obvious abnormal waviness between 4K-5K rpm despite an SAE smoothing of 5. Perhaps an engine timing problem? Whatever it was, that run should not have been used in the comparison due to that aberration IMHO.
Hopefully, you can post a non-wavy, SAE corrected dyno chart that shows a 35 rwhp increase with only a CAI & tune.
I always wonder why I get this question when it always shows SAE correction right on the dyno sheets.

I did not see the datalog that particular run myself but that could have been factory knock sensor activity which would not necessarily disqualify that from being a valid run, just part of the tuning process. What it most likely was is signal degredation in between the pickup and the coil, which for that narrow band in which it occured also does not disquality it from being a valid run.

All the numbers for that run are in line with other 2005-09 GT's we've dyno'd as well. It is also consistent with the 2010 GT after numbers which most of us here agree would be comparable once modified, and the dyno data proves that without question.

Last edited by SteedaGus; 01-03-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
I always wonder why I get this question when it always shows SAE correction right on the dyno sheets.
I see 5 for "SAE Smoothing" on that dyno chart, but no number for CF.

All the numbers for that run are in line with other 2005-09 GT's we've dyno'd as well.
If 35 hp is the typical gain for an 05-09 GT with only your CAI/tune, then you certainly must have a slew of other charts which show it.
Hence, as requested in one of my previous posts, please post a few more of the charts.
Otherwise, this doubting Thomas will consider that one run simply as an aberration, and unrepresentative of your typical performance gains.
Thanks.

Last edited by ski; 01-03-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:04 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ski
I see 5 for "SAE Smoothing" on that dyno chart, but no number for CF.
Maybe I am still beating a dead horse here, but let me make it as clear as I can. Upper right hand corner of these, and every dyno sheet I have ever posted online.

Originally Posted by ski
Otherwise, this doubting Thomas will consider that one run simply as an aberration, and unrepresentative of your typical performance gains.
Thanks.
You already have your mind made up its not possible, why would I waste what could very well be a good 20 minutes away from a very busy phone to convince you of what has already been presented for a kit that I've had in production since 2005 and have tens of thousands of in the field with real world results? There will always be doubters, I'm not putting in that kind of time sway just one who has already made up their mind.

The fact that the 2005-09 cars vs the 2010 end up with about the same numbers with a cold air and tune was discussed without any real proof and never challenged by anyone, I bring the dyno numbers to agree with that statement but yet the numbers don't add up? How many people have dyno'd their 05-09 and gotten mid 260's to the wheels? I would be willing to bet that number is in the thousands, and there are plenty of people making around 300 to the wheels with a cold air and tune, and I dont mean just ours. There are other brands who have pulled that feat off since we accomplished it years ago.

There are more than enough people out there who have achieved these kinds of numbers already. If they werent enough to convince you, I'm certainly not going to put the effort in to change your mind either.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:33 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Maybe I am still beating a dead horse here, but let me make it as clear as I can. Upper right hand corner of these, and every dyno sheet I have ever posted online.

I didn't think I would have to explain the difference between SAE smoothing and SAE Correction Factor to someone with your knowledge and experience, but apparently that's the case.
That chart is showing only SAE Smoothing: 5.
There is no number after CF:
That implies no correction factor was applied to the before and after runs.
And that means the before run could have been performed when weather conditions were possibly unfavorable resulting in abnormally low curves, and the after run could possibly have been performed when weather conditions were more favorable resulting in abnormally high curves. All of which can show an atypically high increase in performance.
(Note: I have seen another performance supplier use this ploy to falsify test results by charting the before results from a run performed during the summer, and the after results from a run performed in the fall.
His total increase was a non-SAE corrected 38 rwhp. But he got caught redhanded by an astute forum member.)
You already have your mind made up its not possible, why would I waste what could very well be a good 20 minutes away from a very busy phone to convince you of what has already been presented for a kit that I've had in production since 2005 and have tens of thousands of in the field with real world results? There will always be doubters, I'm not putting in that kind of time sway just one who has already made up their mind.

The fact that the 2005-09 cars vs the 2010 end up with about the same numbers with a cold air and tune was discussed without any real proof and never challenged by anyone, I bring the dyno numbers to agree with that statement but yet the numbers don't add up? How many people have dyno'd their 05-09 and gotten mid 260's to the wheels? I would be willing to bet that number is in the thousands, and there are plenty of people making around 300 to the wheels with a cold air and tune, and I dont mean just ours. There are other brands who have pulled that feat off since we accomplished it years ago.

There are more than enough people out there who have achieved these kinds of numbers already. If they werent enough to convince you, I'm certainly not going to put the effort in to change your mind either.
You misunderstand. I'm questioning the "increase" in performance.
I have seen SAE corrected dyno results showing 300 rwhp with only a CAI/tune.
I have not seen SAE corrected dyno results that show increases of 35 rwhp with only a CAI/tune.
Is that clear now?

And if you have only the 1 chart showing a rwhp increase in the mid-30's, then just admit it, instead of blathering on and on.

Last edited by ski; 01-04-2012 at 01:52 PM.