Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redoing Interior - A Few Qs

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Default Redoing Interior - A Few Qs

My car ended up with some pretty serious water damage recently and at the moment my driver side carpet is completely cut out along with the insulation underneath. The insulation under my passenger side carpet has also been cut out.

So my spring protect is to completely redo my interior. My husband recently bought 2011 leather seat covers for my car. Next week we plan on buying the carpet for it.

I have a few questions:

1 - I found a few places that sell, what they say, is OE quality carpet for $120-$200. Does that seem like a good price for carpeting? Or is that one of those things I would be better off buying from the dealer?

2 - Is the black interior in Mustangs considered Ebony or Black? I always thought they were the same thing.

3 - Does anyone know where I can buy the 2011 rear seat foams? I have looked on google, but without much luck.

4 - What brand of sound deadening have any of you used? We will also be doing that when we get everything together.

Oh and pics just because I know most everyone likes pics.

Last edited by Tanner05; 01-06-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
My car ended up with some pretty serious water damage recently and at the moment my driver side carpet is completely cut out along with the insulation underneath. The insulation under my passenger side carpet has also been cut out.

So my spring protect is to completely redo my interior. My husband recently bought 2011 leather seat covers for my car. Next week we plan on buying the carpet for it.

I have a few questions:

1 - I found a few places that sell, what they say, is OE quality carpet for $120-$200. Does that seem like a good price for carpeting? Or is that one of those things I would be better off buying from the dealer?

2 - Is the black interior in Mustangs considered Ebony or Black? I always thought they were the same thing.

3 - Does anyone know where I can buy the 2011 rear seat foams? I have looked on google, but without much luck.

4 - What brand of sound deadening have any of you used? We will also be doing that when we get everything together.
1. I was looking up replacement carpets a few months back as well as I had the dreaded leak and finally fixed it. This company seems pretty good and that's where I was set on to buy mine when the time came http://www.auto-interior.com/ford32.htm#Mustang (they also give an option to add "mass backing" under the carpet for more sturdiness and sound deadening) I wouldn't go to the dealer as the cost will be $401-406 according to ford parts.com. Autointeriors will get you carpet for ~$200 +$30 if you want "mass backing" added.

2. I thought black and ebony were the same thing so I can't help you there but I would like to know the answer as well.

3. As far as I know the foam is only available from the dealer right now (I looked into it myself) but the cost is like $78 a piece. Unless you get lucky and get one from the junk yard, but that will be hard to come by as the car is so new.

4. Go with dynamat extreme, its very affordable at ~$125 shipped on eBay for 36 sq feet, which will do your trunk and the back seat. There are cheaper alternatives, but if you read the comparison sheets the specs, thickness and weight are reduced which in return will reduce material's ability to absorb sound and vibrations. You can't go wrong with dynamat, a lot of people have done it on this forum and they all are very happy.

5. How did you get so much water damage if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by defiance; 01-06-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

That is the same place I was looking at. They have a good deal, so I suppose I will be ordering from them next week. I think I will order the black, I mean how many variations of black can there be, right?

Well that is just great about the foams. But I'm spacing this out a little bit so I still have time to get those foams ordered before we do this.

About the water damage, I had apparently had the water leak for longer than I realized. As soon as I noticed it my husband started trying to fix it, but we were having rain every few days a few months ago. The weather striping on my driver side door is also bad, so it was leaking really bad on the driver side. With the black carpet I wasn't really seeing the water. Anyway, he cut up the carpet and the insulation about three weeks ago and it still reeks in there.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Tanner is a boy's name
Old 01-07-2012, 09:27 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maraman
Tanner is a boy's name
She's a girl though haha
Old 01-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by F0RD4LifE
She's a girl though haha
Yea she knows that I am kidding.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maraman
Yea she knows that I am kidding.
Ah, well I feel stupid haha.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

And Maraman isn't a name for anyone at all.

Haha Ford, its all good.

Has anyone swapped a '10+ dash into a 05-09?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:25 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
And Maraman isn't a name for anyone at all.

Haha Ford, its all good.

Has anyone swapped a '10+ dash into a 05-09?
As far as I know the interior body structure is the same, so in theory it could work, but I doubt anyone has done such a feat. I would love to see it though!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

That's what I was thinking.
Right now we are getting all the pieces together to hopefully get the interior completely changed and finished in March or April.

But before I look for the '11 interior I need to make sure I even want to keep my car. Ha

Quick Reply: Redoing Interior - A Few Qs