Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 rims on 12 v-6

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:11 PM
SVT_Cobra_96

Default 05 rims on 12 v-6

I found a posting about this earlier but can't seem to find it now....I have a v-6 2012, a friend of me has a set of 17" from his 05 gt. I was going to buy them to but a set of snow tires on, from the other post it sounded like it would fit, is it the same offset for both? Any reason not to put them on?
The other question is the 2012 has tpms but the 05 rims don't have the sensors in them. Does that make a big difference? Is there any risk in not have the tpms sensors in the rims or does it just mean the light will come on the dashboard when I have the 05 rims on?
Thanks for the input
Old 01-07-2012, 07:19 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I'm almost positive they will fit, but someone else who knows for sure can chime in. As for the TPMS, yes, all it means is that the light will be on while you're driving.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

05-12+ wheels have the same 5.4x5 lug pattern and will interchange fine given brake clearance (any sorta brembo/big brake aftermarket kit could complicate things with 17" wheels).

w/o TPMS sensors, your car will sound an audible alarm for a bit and continually shine the TPMS dash light and also repeatedly say in the text box that there is a problem with the TPMS system. (Get used to hitting reset, alot just to get it to STFU) It's gonna get pretty darn annoying pretty quick. I drove for a few days with TPMS sensor issues (wrong ones came installed in my new wheels initially) and was cursing it the whole friggin time until my correct ones came in and I got them installed.

I have heard (but wouldn't suggest or know for sure) that you can pull the fuse that controls the TPMS system - not sure what else that fuse may tie into, but that might be an easy fix if you're not concerned with the TPMS system itself.

A full tpms sensor kit w/ remote to sync them yourself is around $189 from AM I believe. You could deflate the tires and take them to a mounting place and get them to install the sensors fairly cheaply then slap the wheels back on your car yourself (They can slip these in w/o having to re-balance the tires if done properly)

did your bud take the sensors out of his tires - I though all cars 05 and on came with TPMS package? (Or did that start later after the retro wave?)
Old 01-07-2012, 07:44 PM
SVT_Cobra_96

Thanks for the info.... I guess I'll put the tpms in... Debating now if I have to put them in if I should make those the primary rims and the stock ones the winter set. Everything on my car is stock so sounds like no issue with brakes or anything, no svt package w/ the brembos or anything either.
According to my friend the tpms started after the 05s, not sure what year though.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVT_Cobra_96
Thanks for the info.... I guess I'll put the tpms in... Debating now if I have to put them in if I should make those the primary rims and the stock ones the winter set. Everything on my car is stock so sounds like no issue with brakes or anything, no svt package w/ the brembos or anything either.
According to my friend the tpms started after the 05s, not sure what year though.
yep you're right, I went and checked the tpms kit I got with my wheels and it says 07 and up, so musta been the 07 models that TPMS rolled in on.

Are your bud's 17" wheels wider (17x8 or bigger?), or have wider/better tread than what yours came with? If so I'd hit those for the DD and make your existing stockies the winter tires.

GL bud.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

You will be fine with the 05 wheels, should be the same. As for TPMS, your light will come on, but no big deal. Post pics when your done!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Hey I got interested in this given my own past tpms issues, and did a little more digging. Seems some guys with multiple sets of wheels found a solution to this - how appropriate it is or your skill level to do is up to you though.

What they did is take a PVC Pipe, put all 4 sensors in the PVC tube, close it up, install a valve stem into one end of the closed pipe, pressurize to 32psi, then sync your sensors (having all 4 in the tube while sitting in your drivers seat with a sync tool will mean they will all 4 'sync' immediately - I tested this on my own 'correct' sensors once I received them to insure they sent the right ones the 2nd time), then throw the pvc pipe under your seat or whatnot.

The validity and safety of this I can't vouch for, but does seem like a possible way of going about it w/ 1 TPMS sensor set and multiple wheel sets.

Here is a pic I found of the 'bomb' as they call it that many are making (All sorts of cars not just stangs do this trick)

Heck I wonder if someone isn't already manufacturing these w/ a stem installed and selling them (leaving you to do the final seal and pressurize up). Sorta breaks some laws, but people find all ways of labeling things as something else to get around issues like that. :O

Essentially you could swap wheels till you were blue in the face and your car would always be synced with the Tube-held sensors.

Last edited by JayyVee; 01-07-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 PM
SVT_Cobra_96

His are stock off the gt, I think 17x8.... But I like the style of the 05-09 gt rims better than the stock v6 rims on 12 :-)
Old 01-07-2012, 08:33 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVT_Cobra_96
His are stock off the gt, I think 17x8.... But I like the style of the 05-09 gt rims better than the stock v6 rims on 12 :-)
I hear ya, I was quite excited to get those 17x7 wheels w/ 225 lux tire tread off there, and some decent wider wheels on as well.

More patch on the road = better control/stability!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:55 PM
SVT_Cobra_96

Question for the tire gurus :-)
He's currently got 235/55/17 on the 05 rims. I've got 225/60/17 on my 2012 stock rims. Any reason my tires would fit on the 05 rims? Not sure I fully understand he tire sizing differences. With that is there any reason the 215/65/17 blizakks I am looking at wouldn't fit on my stock rims?
Thanks

Quick Reply: 05 rims on 12 v-6