Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had "The Works" done?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:25 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by majik755
I think my dealer actually checked the tire pressure too. Other than that an, oil change, and some greasy handprints on my fender.
Don't forget the massive burn outs in the back parking lot, then being passed around to other techs to do the same.

jk
Old 01-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Don't forget the massive burn outs in the back parking lot, then being passed around to other techs to do the same.

jk
Hey, I wouldn't doubt it lol. When I had taken my Stang to another dealer to have the A/C actuator replaced back in August, I was told by the service rep that it would be a little while til they start working on my car because they were backed up. I said "OK, no problem" and stepped outside only to find that all the service employees were gathered around an '07-'09 Shelby GT500 just checking it out from inside and out.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
jk
That's exactly why I wait in the lobby for her on every visit stealth...not gonna happen

Originally Posted by Antonio323
Oh, and one more question. I'm sorry if the answer is around somewhere, but what are the advantages, or disadvantages if any, of using synthetic oil compared to using regular oil? If it suits driving styles different, then let me tell you that mine is my daily driver, never taken to the track cuz there aren't any close to me, and my only mods are the 91 race tune, BBK cai, and the dual exhaust.
If you do not put her in race situations you will be fine with the motorcraft syn blend used at the dealership bro. I have been using it for about 5+ yrs with no problems...5k mile intervals, two different engines. Not mobile one mind you, but pretty good stuff.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
"The Works" is just a way for them to mean they "Worked You Over".

Do your own oil change. It's cheaper. There's nothing else that NEEDS to be done. You can check your own tire pressure, washer fluid, muffler bearings and zagnet frebulizer for less money and time.

"The Works"... eeeegaaaahhhhddds
^ What he said, I don't know why anyone would go to the dealer. Find an independent mechanic that is successful because he's honest if you aren't going to do it yourself. Dealerships is the last place I will take my car, unless it's warranty work.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by mayo
I get the "works" done every visit at my local ford dealership and if done properly, really isn't a bad deal. As stated before, oil change, fluids topped, air pressure, brake and tire inspection with wear rating included on the wellness report. Take mine in with my intake and instuct them to leave it alone and never had a problem to date with the service. Also tell them to use motorcraft syn blend on the change, which is what is recommended by ford...again never a problem. Hell they even call back a couple of days later to make sure everything was satisfactory with the service.
My total usually comes to $35 dollars and use it every 5k miles...my guess is what dealership you have it done at is key. The guys I use are 5 star service rated, and my bud from the school days is the sales manager of the dealership...which I'm sure helps insure good service
+1 I have never had any issues with my car or my wife's 06 Escape and works Package. I'm also signed up for the rewards program so every 4th or 5th oil change I get one free.

I don't know the service guy I work with other than I have good relationship with him. He knows my preferred air pressure for both vehicles and removes air/fuel Filter reminders from their system so I don't get annoying e-mails or automated calls to remind me.

He just lets me know when a filter gets flagged to replace and I do it myself.

Oh and they use the OEM recommended oil so Semi Syn on the Mustang and Dino on the Escape although I recently upgraded it to Semi Syn too without any extra cost.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:15 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
I don't know why anyone would go to the dealer. Dealerships is the last place I will take my car, unless it's warranty work.
So let me get this straight bro. You would trust your dealer to perform the most complicated of tasks with possible warranty work/replacement with no reservation, but wouldn't trust them to do an oil change???
I dont get that, as it is simple to take a look at the filter, check the fluid level and drain plug to make sure it is done properly.

TOP 3 REASONS TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE CHANGE YOUR OIL...

3. I could be watching some else do it while I eat my breakfast.
2. Time is money and that $10 im saving doing it myself, is about 5 minutes of my time. Not cost efficient, and lets face it...not fun to do
1. Don't have to get rid of the oil, worry about spilling the oil (i have pets) and then spend money to clean the oil I spilled...any questions?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM
MustangSD
1st Gear Member

I get what you are saying but I think (or like to believe) the warranty and more complicated work is done by someone who has training and is higher on the payscale. In my experience the lube guy is the lowest paid person there (to keep oil change prices low). It also seems this is the guy who ends up leaving the plug loose, torquing the hell out of it or forgetting you wanted 5w20 syn not 10w40 pennz and leaving that pesky last quart out.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Back to the OP's question...

If it suits you then have at it. IMO, oil changes are easy and:
  1. I can put the same stuff; Motorcraft synthetic blend; that comes in the car from the factory if I so desire plus a Motorcraft oil filter for under $20
  2. I don't have to leave home
  3. Being under the car lets me check out other things I might never catch
  4. Most oil change joints and auto parts stores take old oil
  5. While the oil is draining I usually check those other things like tire pressure, washer fluid, belt and hose condition and simply give the car a good looking over
  6. I can have a beer while doing it all
  7. When I'm done, I know it's been done right
  8. Any greasy finger prints are mine, ALL MINE
Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
So let me get this straight bro. You would trust your dealer to perform the most complicated of tasks with possible warranty work/replacement with no reservation, but wouldn't trust them to do an oil change???
I dont get that, as it is simple to take a look at the filter, check the fluid level and drain plug to make sure it is done properly.

TOP 3 REASONS TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE CHANGE YOUR OIL...

3. I could be watching some else do it while I eat my breakfast.
2. Time is money and that $10 im saving doing it myself, is about 5 minutes of my time. Not cost efficient, and lets face it...not fun to do
1. Don't have to get rid of the oil, worry about spilling the oil (i have pets) and then spend money to clean the oil I spilled...any questions?

You are reading waaayy too much into the point I was trying to make. I just think that a large portion of muscle car owners (me included) would prefer to spend time with their car and do the work themselves and take pride in a job well done. If you don't, that's cool, I'm sure there are plenty of people that agree with you over at the BMW dealership having breakfast.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

That's what she said.