Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had "The Works" done?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Back to the OP's question...
hmmm, I believe the op's question was would you recommend having the works done...you are simply coming back on me. BTW, have you ever had it done to answer the op's question objectively?...right, now on to your tag team partner...

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
You are reading waaayy too much into the point I was trying to make. I just think that a large portion of muscle car owners (me included) would prefer to spend time with their car and do the work themselves and take pride in a job well done. If you don't, that's cool, I'm sure there are plenty of people that agree with you over at the BMW dealership having breakfast.
I love to modify my ride bro, I just don't mind letting someone else do something, that lets face it...a trained chimp could do. And as I have stated before to help answer the op's question...5 plus years, ZERO problems, a good service, I recommend. Not a feelin, not an (narrow minded) opinion...a fact.
At this point I would ask you the same question asked earlier...have you had the service done to offer an OBJECTIVE opinion???
Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Back to the OP's question...

If it suits you then have at it. IMO, oil changes are easy and:
  1. I can put the same stuff; Motorcraft synthetic blend; that comes in the car from the factory if I so desire plus a Motorcraft oil filter for under $20
  2. I don't have to leave home
  3. Being under the car lets me check out other things I might never catch
  4. Most oil change joints and auto parts stores take old oil
  5. While the oil is draining I usually check those other things like tire pressure, washer fluid, belt and hose condition and simply give the car a good looking over
  6. I can have a beer while doing it all
  7. When I'm done, I know it's been done right
  8. Any greasy finger prints are mine, ALL MINE
I agree with all of the above.

I think it's mostly a matter of whether you enjoy doing it or not. If you don't, then it makes sense to just have the dealer or a quick change shop take care of it. I personally do like spending time with my car, even if I do end up cursing at crawling under there to do my changes. It's just partially a pride thing, I like knowing that I'm the one doing everything, I do it right, and I get exactly what kind of oil I want flowing through my car.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Whoa, things heat up in here quick. Anyways, it may seem a little too early to give my opinion, but I think it turned out great. They weren't trying to push any other services at me, they just simply told me that the two rear tires and that my rear brakes need to be replaced soon, which I already knew. It also served me good because I also had them fix an issue with my driver seat, which would squeak everytime I'd go over a bump or drive on a bumpy road. They had to replace the seat track. Just an interesting fact (well, to me at least): I was given an "Oasis Report," which shows some info on my car. It was built on June 16, 2009 and I bought it exactly two months later on my birthday, August 16, 2009.

Last edited by Antonio323; 02-01-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Rain
1st Gear Member

I just had "The Works" done today. It was my first scheduled maintenance since I bought my car, and figured I might as well take it to the dealer since I wanted to ask if they also do paint jobs and after market installations. It turns out they do have their own paint and body shop, and will install anything except for gears, but one of their techs is a muscle head and can give me the info on the best place for that.

As far as "The Works" goes, it included oil and filter change, top off fluids (washer, coolant, power steering), reset reminder lights, multi-point inspection (battery, brakes, steering, suspension, exhaust, transmission, drive axle, lights, windshield blades, belts, tire wear and rotation). My tires have about 2k miles on them, so rotation was not done.

It was really friendly service and worth it just for the info.

Damage: $30.88 including taxes - $10.00 Owner Rewards credit. I also earned $1.04 in rewards and 1 credit towards oil change (I believe after 6 changes, the 7th is free).

I'd recommend it just for the piece of mind in knowing your vehicle is in tip-top shape.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As I stated above, if it suits the OP then he should go ahead and have at it. I, on the other hand, was merely pointing out what I consider the pro's of doing it yourself (although I failed to mention in my list above the self-satisfaction that I get from working on my cars). I never implied that he shouldn't have "The Works" done (at least I didn't mean to imply...). I'm an advocate of DIY IF you feel comfortable doing it.