Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced rotors and pads - Brake Job Done

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:58 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Default Replaced rotors and pads - Brake Job Done

Well I replaced my pads and rotors and installed ss brake lInes. I did the fronts yesterday and took it for a spin and everything was normal. Did the rears today and I have some grinding on what I believe to be the driver side rear. Online tone got some ideas
Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Well I replaced my pads and rotors and installed ss brake lInes. I did the fronts yesterday and took it for a spin and everything was normal. Did the rears today and I have some grinding on what I believe to be the driver side rear. Online tone got some ideas
Grinding from the caliper/rotor itself?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:20 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Yes I believe so. I looked at everything again and everything looks good. What would cause a grinding noise. Pads are in but nothing looks unusual
Old 02-10-2012, 05:21 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Im guessing from the rotor
Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 PM
JimC

I don't mean to sound like I am saying "are you stupid" - but are the pads in the correct way? A guy came in to the shop a couple of weeks back while I was there checking on some work and when the mechanic pulled the rotors he had put the pads in backwards. He said he did the brake work and for some reason "one side is now making all kinds of noise in back". The inside pad on one side was backwards.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

So was the pad just upside down or he actually had the pad with the outside edge up against the rotor itself
Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Did you line up the notches on the face of the caliper piston with the pin on the back of the in-board brake pads?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 PM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

So was the pad just upside down or he actually had the pad with the outside edge up against the rotor itself

Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by outceltj
Originally Posted by caaraa

I assume you are both asking about the guy I mentioned who put his brakes together wrong.

It was actually sitting in the caliper with the outside edge against the rotor; it wasn't upside down. Scraped up the metal side of the pad and the rotor was in pretty bad shape as well. Couldn't tell anything was wrong because it was the inside pad so looking at the car there wasn't anything obvious.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 AM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

The only thing I can think of on the rear brakes is making sure the small tab on the back of the pad is fit into the slot on the caliper properly. It was a pain getting mine to line up.

Also make sure the small slide pin caliper bolts are torqued properly, I noticed if you over-tighten the small slide pin bolts with the rubber weather protection, they can catch the threading on the other side and then not slide properly.

Quick Reply: Replaced rotors and pads - Brake Job Done