Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Question....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

The problem is that when you reflash your PCM it goes into something like a Not-Ready state. This causes a DTC that is easily readable by the dealer. You need to drive your car around for like a week or so to clear the code. Obviusly if you blow your motor or tranny .. you will not be able to drive the car around to clear it so the Dealer will know you did something.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Check out TSB 11-7-7 on the 5.0 before you tune
Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 PM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

I bought my 5.0 new last Thursday. I asked the dealer what mods would void the warranty and they said putting a supercharger on the car would void the warranty. Simple bolt-ons would not void my warranty. I took my Bullitt to them many times with the brenspeed tune and other bolt-ons still on the car and nothing was said about the warranty. My advice to you is ask your dealer what mods will void your warranty. Another thing they said was, if I put a supercharger on it to make sure I remove it before bringing the car in for service.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:50 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

If you put a blower on it and blow the engine, man up to it and pay the costs. You can't play at those levels and expect zero risk.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chub46
I bought my 5.0 new last Thursday. I asked the dealer what mods would void the warranty and they said putting a supercharger on the car would void the warranty. Simple bolt-ons would not void my warranty. I took my Bullitt to them many times with the brenspeed tune and other bolt-ons still on the car and nothing was said about the warranty. My advice to you is ask your dealer what mods will void your warranty. Another thing they said was, if I put a supercharger on it to make sure I remove it before bringing the car in for service.
get it in writing, and get it specific in writing about what they will cover, especially when it comes to tuning. often times dealerships will say whatever the customer wants to hear and just assume nothing will blow up .. that conversation/verbal agreement doesn't go very far when there is an expensive repair bill on the line.

dealerships ultimately have to get ford's approval and it's not the easiest thing to do : P
Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sure. Wait 3 or however-many-years before you can really let her rip. You'll kick yourself in the azz. Mod the god damned thing and enjoy it.

BTW, that kit might get you 60 crank HP on a perfect day and the power gainer is the CAI & tune so save yourself about 1/2 that $$ and just get a CAI & tune from them, then build your exhaust as you see fit.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I think the only claim they could make against your mods would be drivetrain (engine, trans, driveshaft, rear end, etc.) and not things like the A/C and the radio or the power seats. By law, they can't void the warranty on every component in the car.

As for the clutch, that is a wear item, so that would not be covered under warranty anyway (like the brakes, tires, wipers, etc.). Burn out to your hearts content!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

From what I've been reading, the 5.0 is built about as far as it can reliably go. Adding a tune stresses it beyond what it can take. TSB 11-7-7 talks about it at length. It seems that tunes are blowing a lot of 5.0's, #8 cylinder especially.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor
From what I've been reading, the 5.0 is built about as far as it can reliably go. Adding a tune stresses it beyond what it can take. TSB 11-7-7 talks about it at length. It seems that tunes are blowing a lot of 5.0's, #8 cylinder especially.
Holy crap. I think this is something that Ford has used as a blanket get out of jail free card to avoid paying repairs, it does make some sense. Thank you for sharing this.

I'd still mod my car though!! lol
Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
I'd still mod my car though!! lol
Obviously, you have!

I think the 4.6's are not subject to the same problems. To get the same hp/cu ratio in the 4.6, you'd have to mod it to 390 hp. So, there is a lot of room to mod the 4.6 before it gets to the same stress level of the 5.0.

I got such a good deal on my 2010 GT, that I couldn't pass it up. However, at the time, I really didn't like the idea of getting the 4.6 vs. the 5.0. Now, I'm glad I did it.

BTW, what part of Colorado are you in?

Last edited by JThor; 02-16-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Warranty Question....