Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Default Cam question

OK guys, really considering swapping out the cams but I'm unsure of which to go with. I love the Comp Thumpr's and have considered Hot Rods and Detriot Rockers but I'm really going for that OLD SCHOOL lope. My question is if I go with a set-up that requires valve springs, am I going to regret this as I will be driving this car daily for at least one more year until I purchase my next Mustang? Anyone from experience able to help me out with some reviews...hot rods/detriot rockers just don't seem to have enough lope for me. Please help, vids are welcome!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:48 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

120 views and nothing!? Can't SOMEONE chime in.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

When I first had the DR's installed I had the h pipe stabbed on with flowmasters. Let me tell ya man it sounded good. When I started the car everybody would always look and ask questions. But the exhaust note was too loud for me b/c we take the car on vacations. Id say if it wasnt a DD then I would have stayed with it or if we didnt take my car on vacation but since we do I had some High Flo cats installed and its much better. Not as many compliments but I still do get them.

Good luck with your decsion
Old 02-18-2012, 10:36 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Thanks outceltj...probably won't take my car on long drives (outside of the AM show/Carlisle and Brenspeed)...I'm looking at this set-up here which is probably a little louder than the rockers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSRpN3PSIs8
Old 02-19-2012, 12:21 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

What are you going to do for exhaust?

Never mind, found it in another one of your threads. If going for just sound, not sure it's worth the extra coin for VSR's over NSR's. Is it really that much different. Chambered mufflers might slightly enhance the effect of lope as well. That's personal preference though. I just like cams along with chambered.

Last edited by SON OF 68; 02-19-2012 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Found info
Old 02-19-2012, 12:36 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I'm looking at the overall goal which includes more than just the sound but that's a HUGE factor when it comes to the cams IMO. I'm more concerned with the drive-ability and internals of my engine. I'm hoping that with a conservative tune it will be fine but I don't want to do something to jeopardize my engine. (can't get rid of the mufflers even if I wanted to as they were a gift from the lady).
Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

From the research I have done on this, I would say NSR if you're concerned about driveability. I'm sure there are tuners who could get some VSRs right, but it's probably a lot easier with the others. Also, ask some tuners about HP differences and weigh out if the cost justifies it or not.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SON OF 68
From the research I have done on this, I would say NSR if you're concerned about driveability. I'm sure there are tuners who could get some VSRs right, but it's probably a lot easier with the others. Also, ask some tuners about HP differences and weigh out if the cost justifies it or not.
Thank you for the feedback, I think you may be right as I've been reading up too. I'm going to be calling Brenspeed first thing Monday morning to see what their input may be (as they will most likely do the install). I'm just curious what makes cams lack drive-ability? Is it just not comfortable, does it shake the entire car, too loud for comfort? I'm just wondering what the problem may be.

From what I gather it seems like drive-ability issues are "bucking" in low RPM (which it already does when I don't let the car warm up) and "hiccups" when cruising down/up a hill, which also seem like bigger problems if the car were manual...that wouldn't bother me at all as I have an auto. We'll see what they say though because I have no experience with cams.

Last edited by bakerjd; 02-19-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:29 AM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

Hmmmm ... I'm going to have to think about that one

Old 02-19-2012, 02:48 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Also, new question...torque converter...would a 3k stall torque converter help the drive-ability or just help me get into the power-band quicker to minimize low rpm torque loss? And for that matter, is it "recommended" or "required" to install a torque converter when installing the Stage II VSR's. I'll be sure to post my findings from my discussion with Brenspeed but any input is welcomed.

Last edited by bakerjd; 02-19-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Cam question