Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:39 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Also more lope or less than detroits or HRs?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Way less than both, if you want lope then I would not recommend these cams, driveability is good, but I also have 4.10s, and I can't report on gas mileage yet, I don't drive my car in the winter and I haven't had them in long. Although, I would be fine with using it as a daily with the mods I have.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:04 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
The vacuum changes with cams. Daily driving with a bigger cam is more of a challenge in the low rpms. Ever notice the really fast cars with big cams at the track in the staging lanes at how they rev them pretty high just to move around? The way I understand it is they offer more power in the higher rpm range and can take away power in the lower rpms which is why you need better gearing. With my car even with 4.10 gears (auto) I noticed a lot of low end loss with Detroit rockers. It would not spin the tires from a dead stop and that really bothered me. Another thing to consider is that longtubes and cams make for a very LOUD vehicle.
Exactly. And the more overlap you have, the more vacuum you'll lose. Also, in my past experience with cams, the more vacuum you lose, the more you lose that crisp throttle response. To get it back, you'd need to start getting into higher compression whether it be pistons or head work.

Also, I have read some guys notice not too much difference in low end with the Detroit Rockers. That could be tune, no? I'm guessing that with all the strip time you use your car for, you probably want mostly top end power right? Just curious what could be different that you see such a loss compared to what some others say.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:14 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
Way less than both, if you want lope then I would not recommend these cams, driveability is good, but I also have 4.10s, and I can't report on gas mileage yet, I don't drive my car in the winter and I haven't had them in long. Although, I would be fine with using it as a daily with the mods I have.
Answers that question...so now it turns into a Hot rods vs. Detroit Rockers vs. Thumpr's debate...heard good things about both but would like to hear experience from both sides

not going to lie...I think this video has sold the Hot Rod Cams to me:

HOLY *****

Last edited by bakerjd; 02-19-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

I've been pretty happy with the Hot Rods...

Performance? Mid range is AWESOME on improvement. Worth every penny...

The two most beautiful sounds in the world is a cammed V8 and a Harley V twin... For the Hot Rods, idle adjustment means everything... Your last post pretty much outlines this as well... It was the SAME post that got me to purchase the Hot Rods!

Nothing compares to the way they grab and shake the $%#@ outta the car at red lights too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSvcZ...4&feature=plcp

Last edited by robs; 02-19-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by robs
I've been pretty happy with the Hot Rods...

Performance? Mid range is AWESOME on improvement. Worth every penny...

The two most beautiful sounds in the world is a cammed V8 and a Harley V twin... For the Hot Rods, idle adjustment means everything... Your last post pretty much outlines this as well... It was the SAME post that got me to purchase the Hot Rods!

Nothing compares to the way they grab and shake the $%#@ outta the car at red lights too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSvcZ...4&feature=plcp

Hot Rods it is...Thanks for everyone's help with this decision. I will keep you guys posted as I'm going to figure out a date for the install tomorrow when I talk with Chandler from Brenspeed.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:21 PM
blackmamba10
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd

not going to lie...I think this video has sold the Hot Rod Cams to me:
was thinking about long tubes or cams. Pretty sure that video just made my decision.

does anyone know what the idle was set at on this car?

Last edited by blackmamba10; 02-19-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Used headers meant cams.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SON OF 68

Also, I have read some guys notice not too much difference in low end with the Detroit Rockers. That could be tune, no? I'm guessing that with all the strip time you use your car for, you probably want mostly top end power right? Just curious what could be different that you see such a loss compared to what some others say.
I bought my detroit rockers when they first came out. I think the tune was not perfected yet. Once I added the m90 my low end woes were gone.

Congrats on your decision Baker. Frankly I think you would be happy with any of those cams. What is your current exhaust setup? Headers midpipes etc...
Old 02-19-2012, 10:54 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackmamba10
was thinking about long tubes or cams. Pretty sure that video just made my decision.

does anyone know what the idle was set at on this car?
Not sure, messaged him for info. Hopefully he'll get back to me.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:36 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

He says in the video the initial idle after the cams were installed was 800 which he corrected and said was actually 775. He then dropped it 100 rpm down to 675. Nice!

Quick Reply: Cam question