Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CAI w/tune question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wpipes
Wow.
Hell, I'm in a good mood today bro. Bottom line, if you are going to make changes to your ride of this nature...do some homework.
And as baker stated, I would buy your gas somewhere else if it was pinging on the 87 tune. 93 tunes are ultra sensitive (race tune), by contaminating it with any existing 87 octane left in the cell would bring it down to a lower rating. Really common sense stuff...hence the CMON MAN!!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm new to tuning but no stranger to car work so bear with me on this. Pinging was too strong of a word to use. I'm going to call AM tomorrow and ask them what they think the deal is.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Hell, I'm in a good mood today bro. Bottom line, if you are going to make changes to your ride of this nature...do some homework.
And as baker stated, I would buy your gas somewhere else if it was pinging on the 87 tune. 93 tunes are ultra sensitive (race tune), by contaminating it with any existing 87 octane left in the cell would bring it down to a lower rating. Really common sense stuff...hence the CMON MAN!!!!
I did a lot of research before I bought. That's my nature. Nowhere did I read anything about easing into the different octanes, or running the 93 octane on the 87 tune for a couple tanks before using the 93 tune. Might be common sense to you but I'm still learning about tuning cars. I need to make these mistakes to learn and ask questions. 14 gallons of 93 with 2 gallons of 87 would knock it down to what, 92, 91.5? Either way, everyone says to drop back to the 87 and burn through a couple tanks of 93 before bumping the tune up so that is what I'll do.
All of my cars before this have been SC and I always ran 93 octane. All my gas is bought from Shell stations. I hate bad gas and always having a SC, you know when you get bad gas quick.
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buchez09GT
I did a lot of research before I bought. That's my nature. Nowhere did I read anything about easing into the different octanes, or running the 93 octane on the 87 tune for a couple tanks before using the 93 tune. Might be common sense to you but I'm still learning about tuning cars. I need to make these mistakes to learn and ask questions. 14 gallons of 93 with 2 gallons of 87 would knock it down to what, 92, 91.5? Either way, everyone says to drop back to the 87 and burn through a couple tanks of 93 before bumping the tune up so that is what I'll do.
All of my cars before this have been SC and I always ran 93 octane. All my gas is bought from Shell stations. I hate bad gas and always having a SC, you know when you get bad gas quick.
Thanks!
Sounds like you've got a plan and like you said, it's a learning process. I LITERALLY knew nothing about cars until I purchased this vehicle, joined MF and got my hands dirty. Did all the mods you see on my vehicle myselft and now I feel I can tackle 85% of the available mods (no building of engine internals, too much risk but I am willing to learn). Welcome to MF by the way! I think you'll like it here.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 PM
homershoots

Buchez09gt, there's the problem buddy, shell gas is the absolute worst crap on earth. I also have a 99 Dakota rt5.9 that has to have 93 in it to not ping and any shell gas I have ever tried has not done the job. Try a different brand man it may very well cure your problem.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Sounds like you've got a plan and like you said, it's a learning process. I LITERALLY knew nothing about cars until I purchased this vehicle, joined MF and got my hands dirty. Did all the mods you see on my vehicle myselft and now I feel I can tackle 85% of the available mods (no building of engine internals, too much risk but I am willing to learn). Welcome to MF by the way! I think you'll like it here.

I've been creepin around for awhile, reading posts, looking at how everyone has customized their stangs, making a shopping list for myself.
I really appreciate everyone's input and am glad to be a part of MF.
Thanks for helping me out!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by homershoots
Buchez09gt, there's the problem buddy, shell gas is the absolute worst crap on earth. I also have a 99 Dakota rt5.9 that has to have 93 in it to not ping and any shell gas I have ever tried has not done the job. Try a different brand man it may very well cure your problem.
Dooley noted. Will do
Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 PM
iamgone
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by homershoots
I agree. My car does not like Shell gas.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:00 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Must be a different formulation. My tuner specifically said to use 91 octane Shell, but i'm on the west coast. My A/F is fine with no pinging. I was using Arco and he told me NOT to use Chevron or Arco. Only Shell, 76 or Citco. I'm running a procharger at 10 lbs of boost, 430 hp to the rear wheels.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Haha, I don't feel like arguing the point of what you and I consider common sense, but I'm with Buchez as I disagree with your stance on it.

I'm glad you were in a good mood though, as I'd hate to see your response if you weren't.

Quick Reply: New CAI w/tune question