Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (Cheapish!!!) Mods! Performance/audio

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:12 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Default New (Cheapish!!!) Mods! Performance/audio

I plasti-dipped everything including my interior trim pieces!

/sarcasm. Just kidding haha.

But what I did do, was buy Pioneer 6x8s for all four speakers and a Pioneer 3400UB head unit from Crutchfield.com.

The head unit install was a little tricky for me, but I installed it myself perfectly, and it functions like a dream. Pics soon. It's not a double-din system, but now I have a sweet pocket for my Ipod and don't have to keep it in the cup holder any more. One problem I have with it is that apparently aftermarket radios don't come with a signal amplifier (news to me) so my radio reception isn't exactly stellar. Sucky to say the least. If anyone has any questions regarding head unit install/wiring, let me know as Crutchfield directions kind of leave that step out. And the A/C controls were a pain in the @$$ to disconnect. Or on youtube, there's a channel called mustang411 that gives you a step by step on how to take out your existing stock radio and is extremely helpful. Speakers are not installed yet which is unfortunate as I left my tools in Orlando (In Tampa for the weekend) and the stock speakers are popping like crazy unless I keep the volume low-moderate which just isn't me. I'm surprised just how much money I'm saving by doing the install myself. I paid just under $300 for the speakers, receiver, wiring harnesses, door panel tool, and wire caps. Then another $36 on a wire crimper, socket extensions, and a pair of pliers. Best Buy would've charged me $220 for this install... not happening.

I also was so blessed to be graced with free tunes for life from Americanmuscle this past week! I've been running 87 street for four years. when I was in highschool, I thought that that's all I would run because at the time of my senior year (2008), gas prices were insane (and getting there now...) and I was working off of a weekend busser's salary. However, I talked with Bama, and they signed me up for free tunes for life!

I picked 87 street, 87 performance, and 93 race. 93 race I'll save for spring break which is one week away! I ran the 87 performance this morning and let me tell you something, I can't believe how much more aggressive it is than the street tune. Even the exhaust note seems deeper and louder (no, not the placebo effect). Definitely a bigger kick in the pants than the street tune. In the near future, I'll be switching out the tunes again, switching to a 93 street, 93 performance, and 93 race. I worked the numbers and at current fuel prices, I'll be paying $4.50 more per fill-up if I'm on fumes. Not bad, and my budget can definitely swing it.

This is my last 87 fill up. I'll be filling up with 93 next, then on the second tank of 93, switching over to 93 race while I cruise around Tampa during spring break. All in all it's been a great weekend for the car!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:39 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Once u go to the 93 tune u will likely keep it there. Congrats
Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Mad you know the drill...pic's or it didn't happen beatch!lol
Old 02-25-2012, 11:07 AM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Pics of a tune? lol...congrats on the upgrades! How'd you manage free tunes for life?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Mad you know the drill...pic's or it didn't happen beatch!lol
QUITSHYERBISHIN haha.

Done: Crappy Android Pics

Unrelated Pic: This is my favorite hat that I love to cruise around town in. I'll wear it until it either A) falls apart or B) I cease to exist

Old 02-25-2012, 11:17 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoshpitMad
Pics of a tune? lol...congrats on the upgrades! How'd you manage free tunes for life?
Thanks Moshpit! Yea I have a pic of the tune, just a minute, please:

Regarding your question: Back when I first bought the CAI/tune combo from AmericanMuscle, your tuner came with 3 free tunes. Then after that, you could buy 3 more for $100-$150, I can't remember. Then two years later, the "free tunes for life" deal came to be. It would've cost me $100 to buy in, but for some reason, I thought I didn't need it.

Last week I called Bama, told them I only had the 87 street tune from back in highschool and now I want new tunes. I already have all the hardware, but I can't find on the site how to buy tunes. I was willing to spend that $100 that I thought it was going to cost from my previous searches. The Bama tuner looked up my purchase from 4 years ago (!) and told me he'd just put my email address on the list. I was very happy, to say the least. I can't tell you how much I love this company haha. Haven't got one bad thing to say about them.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:29 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Good to know!
Old 02-25-2012, 01:26 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

You thought releasing the 5 Ford wiring harnesses on the faceplate was a pain in the a... Wait till you try to remove the rear speaker bolts. lol

I bottom mounted my new rear speakers so I can remove them from the trunk in the future. I have no idea why Ford put them so far back in the rear deck firing directly up into the glass, they are about useless for sound and a pisser to work on.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pinn
You thought releasing the 5 Ford wiring harnesses on the faceplate was a pain in the a... Wait till you try to remove the rear speaker bolts. lol

I bottom mounted my new rear speakers so I can remove them from the trunk in the future. I have no idea why Ford put them so far back in the rear deck firing directly up into the glass, they are about useless for sound and a pisser to work on.
No, not the five wiring harnesses, just the left A/C control harness was a real PITA! I have hands on the larger side and I was having a heck of a time lifting up that tab and sliding it out of place. How did you go about installing on the bottom? I haven't looked back there yet, so honestly, I don't know the steps that need to be taken for removal/re-install.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Yes, the AC release tab was the worst of the bunch.

The rear speaker grills pop right out, they just have tabs holding them in place. Then four screws per speaker but the rear two screws on each speaker are a real joy to back out when you are folded up like a pretzel in the back seat.

Quick Reply: New (Cheapish!!!) Mods! Performance/audio