Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning smell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Default Burning smell?

Hey guys ive been smelling a burning smell after 100Mph , I only went over maybe 3 times and ever time I slow down to
Normal speed I smell this burnig smell? I don't think it's my clutch cause I'm shifting correctly (I think)? Pedal fully pressed down right before shifting..Idunno is it my exhaust coming into the car? It happend tonight on the freeway when i almost passed my exit so I down shifted, reved match first then proceeded..so any help ?? Idunno if this is normal?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:30 AM
stang06lv
2nd Gear Member

probably somebody elses ride, did you cut anyone off/heavy traffic?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang06lv
probably somebody elses ride, did you cut anyone off/heavy traffic?
Nah not at all, but this is the same smell every time I dont know what it is?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:16 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

It's not unusual to smell engine oil after a hard run. It's normal.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash gordon
It's not unusual to smell engine oil after a hard run. It's normal.
That's engine oil? Thats what I'm smelling?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Normal for me, I never burn/slip my clutch, but when I get on it, I can smell the oil and engine, especially when I come to a stop. I think its the smell of a hard working engine
Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
Normal for me, I never burn/slip my clutch, but when I get on it, I can smell the oil and engine, especially when I come to a stop. I think its the smell of a hard working engine
Yeah I guess hearing normal from you guys make me a little bette I just changed the oil couple days ago, manual 5-20, I put full synthetic ford filter... I dunno it still bother me that it smells like that..
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SkyWitit23
Yeah I guess hearing normal from you guys make me a little bette I just changed the oil couple days ago, manual 5-20, I put full synthetic ford filter... I dunno it still bother me that it smells like that..
Right... however I believe i'm burning tiny bits of oil... like 1 quart every 1k miles or something. Kind of expected that when making any kind of real power. Speaking of which, I need to check it.
edit: nice ride, were those rims stock?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

You should be able to tell the difference between exhaust fumes, burning oil, and burning clutch, they are all very different smells. Just saying a funny smell doesn't mean much since there can be all sorts of smells.

A girl brought her 2011 GT in to the dealership because she smelled something burning. they checked it out said it was fine, then one day her engine bay caught on fire. So... it's important to be able to determine what type of smell it is and where it's coming from.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
Right... however I believe i'm burning tiny bits of oil... like 1 quart every 1k miles or something. Kind of expected that when making any kind of real power. Speaking of which, I need to check it.
edit: nice ride, were those rims stock?
Thanks bro! Your ride is looking nice to bro, but I have the 7 spoke saleens on in that pic, not stock I have my 19" performance packedge rims..

Originally Posted by Mishri
You should be able to tell the difference between exhaust fumes, burning oil, and burning clutch, they are all very different smells. Just saying a funny smell doesn't mean much since there can be all sorts of smells.

A girl brought her 2011 GT in to the dealership because she smelled something burning. they checked it out said it was fine, then one day her engine bay caught on fire. So... it's important to be able to determine what type of smell it is and where it's coming from.
I can't the difference between the two all I know is that is was a burning type smell, it's agen I really get on it like over 100 120, then I smell it, so I dunno if I need to bring it in or not?

Quick Reply: Burning smell?