Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Food Chain: Where are we?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:27 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

So I can only tell you about my experience hands on. I have a '10 with Roush M90 and that's the only really strong performance mod. Since that install, I have not lost a race.

I've had one that was a tie and that was a heavily modified supercharged SRT8Chrysler 300 looking car. He couldnt pull me and I couldnt him and that was on repeated races from starts and rolls.

Others that were close but I won was an 11 or 12 GT, Kawasaki Ninja (don't know how big tho, but it looked larger to me), and this guy in a restored late 60's Camaro.

Others I've beat the pants off includes any Subaru (I hunt down STI's and WRX's now), other 4.6's, new Camaro SS, 2 vettes (c6's) and what looked like an 05 or 6 Pontiac goat...and of course every single Harley who thinks he's fast. They make me laugh.

There's a Bentley I raced pre-sc and he blew my doors off, but I'd like a rematch with him. Pretty sure he'd still win. Also, there's a kid in the neighborhood with an old Civic that's a total sleeper. I couldnt beat him in my 06 but in my current config if he hasnt changed, I believe I could.

As far as what everyone else says, I totally agree. It's a combination of driver skill, will, and the car. You never know who or what you are racing most of the time.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Others that were close but I won was an 11 or 12 GT, Kawasaki Ninja (don't know how big tho).
250cc
Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
250cc
Man, that's funny but so true and I was gonna post the same.
When it comes to motorcycles (non cruiser style), you better have a 10 second car or faster because that's what the average bike can do.
Hell, even a single 650cc dirt bike (like a KLR) will smoke a fast car until you reach 120mph.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Man, that's funny but so true and I was gonna post the same.
When it comes to motorcycles (non cruiser style), you better have a 10 second car or faster because that's what the average bike can do.
Hell, even a single 650cc dirt bike (like a KLR) will smoke a fast car until you reach 120mph.
So here's the deal, I used to get smoked by bikes, but not really much in recent years. I dont stand a chance on the highway and don't play there cuz they start weaving through traffic, but from a stop, it's nothing like the days where you just never bothered. I've raced from a stop over the last few years bikes on 4 occasions I recall and I've won. Maybe cuz they werent expecting me to launch like I do, but I'm willing to race a bike anytime.

Maybe ya'll just need to learn what that pedal on the right is for
Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by xkape
So today I am behind a Dodge Viper and the dude sees me in his rearview at a light. He takes of like a crazy person and I oblidge (its a quickest to the spped limit kind of thing)... anyway, hes trying like hell to lose me and i am up his butt the entire time till I have to turn and he goes straight...

So I am left wondering, what cars can smoke me and which ones cant. But, sadly, I don't know the answer.. so I turn to you guys,

I have an 07 Roush Mustang GT Vert with a VMP 500 HP kit (smaller pulleys, tuned CAI, etc..) putting down just over 400 at the wheel and well over 400 torque.. Was that guy a bad driver or no? What kind of cars can expect to hammer and what cars are going to beat my ***?

Just curious.... and, I want to know from a stop, not a roll.
You sure he was really trying? Street racing is not safe and it's illegal. Just peeling out at a stop light can get your license taken away. Who knows, he might also have NOS in the trunk. Cudos for the Viper showing restraint.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:09 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Margarita Girl
You sure he was really trying? Street racing is not safe and it's illegal. Just peeling out at a stop light can get your license taken away. Who knows, he might also have NOS in the trunk. Cudos for the Viper showing restraint.
Yep and yep. By the way, it's kudos.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Thanks for the spell check!

I have a GT that I paid off 4 years ago and I'll get beat every day by my brother-in-law's BMW M5. But with the price he paid I bought my vert, my Subaru and my built-in heated swimming pool. Guess it just depends how much you want to spend or how much you care about who's faster.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Your place in the "food chain" is all dependant on who's coming to dinner
There's always a faster rabbit, it is simply a matter of $$, but it is well known...you can't buy style baby!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 AM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
So I can only tell you about my experience hands on. I have a '10 with Roush M90 and that's the only really strong performance mod. Since that install, I have not lost a race.

I've had one that was a tie and that was a heavily modified supercharged SRT8Chrysler 300 looking car. He couldnt pull me and I couldnt him and that was on repeated races from starts and rolls.

Others that were close but I won was an 11 or 12 GT, Kawasaki Ninja (don't know how big tho, but it looked larger to me), and this guy in a restored late 60's Camaro.

Others I've beat the pants off includes any Subaru (I hunt down STI's and WRX's now), other 4.6's, new Camaro SS, 2 vettes (c6's) and what looked like an 05 or 6 Pontiac goat...and of course every single Harley who thinks he's fast. They make me laugh.

There's a Bentley I raced pre-sc and he blew my doors off, but I'd like a rematch with him. Pretty sure he'd still win. Also, there's a kid in the neighborhood with an old Civic that's a total sleeper. I couldnt beat him in my 06 but in my current config if he hasnt changed, I believe I could.

As far as what everyone else says, I totally agree. It's a combination of driver skill, will, and the car. You never know who or what you are racing most of the time.

Saw a civic beat a 11+ mustang gt from a roll.....supposedly "All motor k20 swap civic hatch" w.e it was, from a roll... that little thing took off like a bat out of hell!

Seen a stage 3 2010+ VW GTI almost take a bolt on 11+ gt...

I know a guy with a sleeper 92 civic coupe, putting over 300 to the wheels... but I'd still be PISSED if he beat me lol
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 AM
piledriver
Banned

A Viper should have no problem with you. I even had a hard time with a newer one because I couldn't get traction the way he did. I did take him though. he was one pis*ed off dude. From his rear view mirror I look pretty much like your run of the mill Mustang. It wasn't until I passed him @ 140 that he realized he was about to eat sh*t. And can you believe it??? He did the infamous " Ricer Fly By " after I beat him. He then pulled into a Taco Bell and just sat in his car. I drove past him real slow, he wouldn'd even look at me. He probably went home and cried, lol!

Quick Reply: Food Chain: Where are we?