A comparison to the Mustang - MustangForums.com



2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #1  
stags
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California, Colorado
Posts: 695
Default A comparison to the Mustang

When I was home over Spring Break I got the chance to take a Slate Gray 2008 Jaguar XKR vert for a spin, which retailed around 90k. My dad wound up buying it used at 12k miles for my mom for 50k.

Bottom line: The Jaguar was a very nice car. In terms of appearance it was incredibly sexy in every way. I could do without the wood trim but that's just a personal preference. It was a very nice car with a sexy exhaust note. Cornered very well too.

However, for me, the Jaguar has some serious flaws. The thing was an automatic and I would never buy a sports car that was an auto, even if it had paddles. The fact that it was a luxury car also hurt it. It was plenty fast with a 420 HP SC V8, but the car was clearly built to be a luxury car first, and a sports car second. Frankly, I think my V6 pony still accelerated better, and it was nowhere near the level of the Saleen. The mustang is brutal unrefined power, whereas the Jag is very posh, comfortable, dummed down power. The handling of the Jag was also too smooth IMO, not as agressive as the Stang. Guess which I prefer.

The jag also lacked some basic things the Mustang has. The backseat in the XKR is too small to be practical, and it has half the trunk space of a S197 vert.

That is all, but I know alot of people enjoy comparisons of the ponies to other performance cars. IF someone offered to trade me straight across, my mustang for a new XKR, I would have to say I wouldnt take it (Ok, MAYBE to turn around, sell the jag, and get a boss or shelby )
stags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #2  
stags
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California, Colorado
Posts: 695
Default

http://www.sthmotors.com/used/Jaguar...693588b3e8.htm

Page for the jaggy that hasnt been taken down yet, pics included
stags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #3  
bakerjd
5th Gear Member
 
bakerjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,874
Default

Edited this response because of my poor choice of wording and the fact that it took over the entire thread. Back on topic now please

Last edited by bakerjd; 03-19-2012 at 02:28 AM.
bakerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #4  
YerBuddy
2nd Gear Member
 
YerBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: APO
Posts: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerjd View Post
This sentence always makes me laugh. Literally after I read that I stopped reading because I know I will never value your opinion.
Brilliant. Narrowmindedness abounds.
YerBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #5  
bakerjd
5th Gear Member
 
bakerjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerBuddy View Post
Brilliant. Narrowmindedness abounds.
So because I don't value someone's opinion that is narrow-minded on the subject of transmissions in sports cars I'm narrow-minded? Interesting.
bakerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #6  
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member
 
4LiterSonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerjd View Post
So because I don't value someone's opinion that is narrow-minded on the subject of transmissions in sports cars I'm narrow-minded? Interesting.
My first Mustang was an auto, and the one I have now is manual...manual is just a different breed in my opinion. If you like straight line fast, auto is great. But I enjoy having total control over what my engine is doing at all times. There's nothing like revving and then downshifting to pass someone, it's amazing. I highly doubt I'll ever buy another Mustang with an automatic. I drive mine every day in traffic and I still love it to death.
4LiterSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #7  
bakerjd
5th Gear Member
 
bakerjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LiterSonic View Post
My first Mustang was an auto, and the one I have now is manual...manual is just a different breed in my opinion. If you like straight line fast, auto is great. But I enjoy having total control over what my engine is doing at all times. There's nothing like revving and then downshifting to pass someone, it's amazing. I highly doubt I'll ever buy another Mustang with an automatic. I drive mine every day in traffic and I still love it to death.
You don't have to tell me. I love both and appreciate them for their intended use. Driven both, researched both, SOLD both. Hell, I've already decided that my next Mustang will have a standard transmission. It's just laughable to me that people think auto aren't fun because you're not banging gears. Stop on by and I'll let you take my Stang for a spin then see if you can tell me you didn't have a blast going WOT.

Enough of this stuff though. No intention to thread jack with my comment. That Jag looks nice and you're father is a lucky man!
bakerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #8  
YerBuddy
2nd Gear Member
 
YerBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: APO
Posts: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerjd View Post
So because I don't value someone's opinion that is narrow-minded on the subject of transmissions in sports cars I'm narrow-minded? Interesting.
No. Telling him you "will never value his opinion," meaning ANY opinion, is narrowminded. You didn't write it as if it were only on the subject of transmissions. Even then it's my opinion that it is, in fact, narrowminded. I agree it is interesting though. It's one of those "agree to disagree" moments.

I also meant, by using the word, "abounds," that you were both being narrowminded.

I also agree it's a nice jag...I don't want one, but his father is a luck man.

Last edited by YerBuddy; 03-19-2012 at 02:04 AM.
YerBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #9  
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alpharetta, Ga
Posts: 762
Default

I gotta admit, the newer XK/XKR convertibles are on my list of cars I'd have in my super garage if I ever win the lottery. And that is a good looking one specifically.

I like what you say about the unrefined power of a Mustang compared to the posh factor of the Jag. A friend of mine has a Porsche Carrera S, and we've driven each other's cars. He said that the Mustang has a more visceral feel to it compared to the Porsche. Since then, that's been about the best word I've found to describe it. And I agree, that visceral feeling is more enjoyable that the 'refined' feeling of the typical Euro sports car. Even when they're faster, they're not really as much fun to drive.

I also disagree about the 'never buying a sports car that is an automatic' mentality. I'd suggest that it's generally the opinion of younger guys. I admit that I used to feel that way. Now I am a little older, in theory a little wiser, and I own one manual pony car and one auto pony car, and I love em both.

I also agree that it's a bit harsh to say you could never value someone's opinion because they feel that way about automatics. A person can never have any valid opinion about anything because he feels oppositely of you on one subject? And yeah the other guy was right, that's the way you made it sound. Eh, the world takes all kinds...

-----

PS. Looking at the Jag again, and I am reminded that the thing about Jags I never like are their wheels. Jags tend to have average wheels at best, usually less than average. Some of em have some pretty hideous wheels, imo...

Last edited by Schmalgar; 03-19-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Schmalgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:22 AM   #10  
bakerjd
5th Gear Member
 
bakerjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerBuddy View Post
No. Telling him you "will never value his opinion," meaning ANY opinion, is narrowminded. You didn't write it as if it were only on the subject of transmissions. Even then it's my opinion that it is, in fact, narrowminded. I agree it is interesting though. It's one of those "agree to disagree" moments.

I also meant, by using the word, "abounds," that you were both being narrowminded.

I also agree it's a nice jag...I don't want one, but his father is a luck man.
Yea, no biggie. Using never was not the appropriate word to get my point across. Oh well, lol I knew what you meant.
bakerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**New...from NAT! 2015 Ford Mustang MRT Rear Window Louvers**Free shipping! NorthAmericanTuning Vendor For Sale / Group Buy Classifieds 5 11-09-2016 11:45 AM
**New from NAT!2015 Ford Mustang MRT Rear Window Louvers**Free Shipping! NorthAmericanTuning The New S550 2015-2019 Mustang 3 03-18-2016 11:21 AM
Horsepower History: Mustang Power Numbers Through the Years MustangForums Editor Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion 8 01-06-2016 07:03 PM
New from Pittsburgh chain New Member Area 6 08-17-2015 08:52 AM
Just swapped motor exhaust want fit daytooday Motor Swap Section 2 08-11-2015 09:22 AM


Tags
2004, 2005, 2010, 2013, comparison, coupe, handling, mustang, pony, s197, size, trunk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.