Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/C Prep

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Default S/C Prep

Hey guys,

So, I figured while I have the time, I'll be working on the prep-side of this install. As some of you know, I'm working on getting a Whipple H/O kit to Germany to install in my 08 GT. What I need to know now though, is what about the prep do I need?

I'm planning on changing my shortie headers and corresponding mid-pipe to the MAC long-tube/prochamber setup (with cats), and possibly the axle-backs afterwards, if it sounds cruddy. Looking for information on what else needs to be done to the stock engine/parts in order to ensure that everything will run smoothly. Also, what about gauges? What is needed there?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 03-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

It depends on the S/C's estimated power. If you car will be at 450 rwhp or less then I'd suggest a good CAI (obviously) and you need a tune. Otherwise nothing really. If its above 450 rwhp you may want to replace heads, rods, camshafts, etc. to make sure the engine block can handle all the power.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I can tell you my m90 went in easier than the long tubes. Lol. Most FI guys get a wide band air fuel gauge. Another popular one is boost. You can go gauge nuts and add fuel pressure, oil pressure. A wideband wide band is a must IMO.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang
It depends on the S/C's estimated power. If you car will be at 450 rwhp or less then I'd suggest a good CAI (obviously) and you need a tune. Otherwise nothing really. If its above 450 rwhp you may want to replace heads, rods, camshafts, etc. to make sure the engine block can handle all the power.
You need to stop posting about things you have absolutely no idea about.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeremeh
Hey guys,

So, I figured while I have the time, I'll be working on the prep-side of this install. As some of you know, I'm working on getting a Whipple H/O kit to Germany to install in my 08 GT. What I need to know now though, is what about the prep do I need?

I'm planning on changing my shortie headers and corresponding mid-pipe to the MAC long-tube/prochamber setup (with cats), and possibly the axle-backs afterwards, if it sounds cruddy. Looking for information on what else needs to be done to the stock engine/parts in order to ensure that everything will run smoothly. Also, what about gauges? What is needed there?

Thanks,
Jeremy
To get ready for the install, remove the intake, belt, spark plugs, front bumper, fuel pumps, and probably the battery.

You can grow your battery on a trickle charger to keep it going. You can also drain your radiator fluid as with most TS install involve a new crossover and routing for the rear heater core hoses.

I would get the front end up on jacks stands too.

Best gauge I can recommend is a wideband. Second would be boost.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I can tell you my m90 went in easier than the long tubes. Lol. Most FI guys get a wide band air fuel gauge. Another popular one is boost. You can go gauge nuts and add fuel pressure, oil pressure. A wideband wide band is a must IMO.
Yes, I've heard that long tubes are even worse than shorts. The directions I had printed off for my shorties said to remove the steering rod, and I somehow managed to put it on backwards...

I'm planning on either a 2 or 3 gauge pillar pod. Air/Fuel and Boost are the most common I've seen. What do people normally put in the other?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
To get ready for the install, remove the intake, belt, spark plugs, front bumper, fuel pumps, and probably the battery.

You can grow your battery on a trickle charger to keep it going. You can also drain your radiator fluid as with most TS install involve a new crossover and routing for the rear heater core hoses.

I would get the front end up on jacks stands too.

Best gauge I can recommend is a wideband. Second would be boost.
I still have the stock battery in it from 08, and it's been sitting for a year on an airfield. Guys say they're supposed to start it once a month, but that's iffy in my head. I plan on going ahead and buying a yellow top.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Yep, like Simon said.. If you are planning to stick with the pulley comes with the kit, dun worry about other engine mods for now. I see you are currently running Brenspeed tunes, I would suggest to contact them to get new tune for the FI..
And I won't tell you mom you're a Soldier.lmao....good luck bro..
Old 03-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I was able to install my whipple HO without removing the front bumper with little difficulty. Other than that, Simon is spot on. A wideband gauge is a must, but most guys get a boost gauge as well. A good third choice would be fuel pressure, but it's not 100% necessary if you have the wideband. I'd also recommend upgrading your clutch and tires if you want to effectively put all that newfound hp to the ground. I don't know where this myth that "450rwhp requires a complete engine overhaul" come from, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it simply isn't true. I beat the hell out of my 500rwhp '06 GT with stock heads, cams and internals and it runs like a champ after years of 1/4 mile runs.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
You need to stop posting about things you have absolutely no idea about.
Lmao.

Quick Reply: S/C Prep