Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean Slate and ready to Mod, but want to do it smart

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 PM
rlwyatt88

Default Clean Slate and ready to Mod, but want to do it smart

Gents,

Just picked up a garaged '07 GT 5 Speed. This car has 25K on it, and is bone stock. It still had the plastic on the floormats when I picked it up, an older pony car fan had it garaged.

Anyhow, I'm ready to start adding to the car. My resources are as follows:

Access to (Free) full DIY garage with lifts, cherry pickers, etc. with fully stocked tool warehouse.

Friends with the know how. I'm talking Ford Techs, not gomer with the lawnmower repair business.

money to spend, but not on decorative floor matt's or throttle body spacers : )

What I want to do:

Quality power to the tire, doing as much as I can myself.

I'm going to start with Cold Air, Cat Back's, Long tube headers, and a tune when all above in installed ( Will be done SAME DAY, no lean driving)

I'm an audio/auto body guy. I could put an amp on your big wheel and a body kit on a razor scooter, but I'm not super knowledgeable under the hood.

What else can I add aside from turbo/blower to get power to the street?

I have the 07 stock gears, what is involved in puttin in 4.10's? Ca I just pull any 8.8 out of any late model ford and go with that? what is the install process here with a rear end with such low mileage?

thanks!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Here..we..go..lol

You are addicted and haven't even started yet. I will enjoy seeing your car in about a year.. and I mean that.. seriously.. something tells me its on!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Damn dude i want your criteria of assistance. Lol
My uncles run an auto shop but dont want to bother them with insesant modding :P
Also dont have many auto mechanic friends :P
Looking forward to this cars build page
Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

CAI+ Tune if you dont want to get blown right away. Ive also seem to remember something about the charge motion delete plates on the V8. Gears will help alot with percieved power and the biggest cost on those is the labor.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

With the power you will be adding you will want to look into some new wheels, tires and suspension parts to stop the wheel hop as well. Some cams would be something to think about, especially since you are doing long tubes. Search the forums for some advice on what brands to look into.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

To elaborate, and this is without checking so bear with me:

You can buy gears for $180 on AmericanMuscle.com. Those usually cost a pretty penny to install, but with the friends you have youre good.

Check out their CAI and tuner combos. Save a few bucks and you get free bama tunes for life, which is a deal me and alot of other forum members swear by.

To get the power to the pavement I would look at a set of wheels and tires, AM has some nice combos with Nitto tires. More rubber on pavement= more grip. LCAs will help stop wheel hop.

As far as other stuff, pics will help as well as info on color. If I had a GT, I would be salavating over the Saleen Shakercharger. The stock hood is bland IMO, and shaker units are sexy.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

http://www.brenspeed.com/supershaker.html

We look forward to helping you spend all your money

On a side note (And feel free not to answer) Where are you in CO? I live outside of Boulder
Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Well, you can probably do *ALL* of it yourself - down to building the block - with all those qualifications!

If you're married, warn your wife.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

warn the wife... or just keep things to under 200 at a time and it goes un noticed
Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I chose the car over my wife... Best decision I ever made for a number of reasons. The car never says no, inst randomly dysfunctional one week of the month, never whines or begs for pointless **** and at least the **** I buy my car I get to enjoy too instead of freaking jewelry and spa days. She never complains about me playing music too loud, trying new things out on her (Especially louder mufflers), or watching a football game with the boys.

Less money spent on wifey = more money for mods. Wife was WAY more expensive than the car too, prolly coulda bought a new GT this year if I hadnt met her.

Quick Reply: Clean Slate and ready to Mod, but want to do it smart