Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with dash kit. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Default Trouble with dash kit. What should I do?

As some of you may know, I upgraded my head unit and I got the Metra dash kit to go along with it. After about a month and a half after the install, the LCD light on the dash kit would start to flicker on and off at random times. About two weeks ago, the LCD light seems to have finally given up on me. It still displays all the info and it works just as it should, but the LCD light doesn't turn on anymore, which makes it a PITA at night because I can't even see the display. I emailed Metra tech support last week and I didn't get a response, so I sent them a second email on Sunday and they got back at me on Monday. Since then, it's just been back and forth with the emails and I still haven't gotten any real help. First I was told to disconnect the dash kit and make sure there aren't any loose wires, I did so and nothing, I still had the problem. Then I was told to reinstall the stock dash and radio, which I did and nothing yet. On the third email, I was told to try reinstalling the stock radio once again, and I told him I already did that. I got a reply this morning, in which he told me that I need to have MY CAR, not their dash kit, checked by a Ford dealer. I'm not getting any real help with these suggestions. It bums me out that I paid over $200 on this dash kit that started malfunctioning on its own, and now I'm being told I need to have my car checked out. Is there anything I can do? I just got off work, so I'm gonna doze off for a while. When I wake up, I may just see if I can get something done with a phone call.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I would call them and just tell them you want to exchange the one they sent you for a new one. If they refuse, tell them you want to return it period. I would also inform them you're member on a very large and popular mustang forum and you're sharing your experience with their company, with the forums members.

Also, wtf is a dash kit? What was wrong with your dash to begin with?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

This is a dash kit:

When installing a DDIN on 2010+ Mustangs, you need to replace the factory kit with one of those. I may just go ahead and try what you just suggested. They just released a new one, which has a touch screen for the climate controls, I may ask and see if I can put in some extra cash to cover the difference to have that one instead of a replacement.