Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions/concerns after my upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Bugsy1036

Default Questions/concerns after my upgrades

Questions/concerns after my upgrades.

A week ago I installed a Roush axle back exhaust. Yesterday I installed the Steeda CAI and SCT tune including the idle program “ghost cam”.

My first concern is the smell; it smells similar to a burning electrical or fresh welding smell. I don’t see any exposed wires.

My second concern is with the throttle. I understand that the tune improves throttle response but if I don’t press the throttle with a very smooth and consistent amount of pressure the car starts to jerk. It’s even more noticeable when I accelerate aggressively. I feel like I’m 16 again.

Lastly with the idle tune the car sounds like it’s going to die when I’m coming to a stop. Also the idle tune doesn’t kick in till I rev the engine after it’s warmed up.

Any ideas?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bugsy1036
Questions/concerns after my upgrades.

A week ago I installed a Roush axle back exhaust. Yesterday I installed the Steeda CAI and SCT tune including the idle program “ghost cam”.

My first concern is the smell; it smells similar to a burning electrical or fresh welding smell. I don’t see any exposed wires.

My second concern is with the throttle. I understand that the tune improves throttle response but if I don’t press the throttle with a very smooth and consistent amount of pressure the car starts to jerk. It’s even more noticeable when I accelerate aggressively. I feel like I’m 16 again.

Lastly with the idle tune the car sounds like it’s going to die when I’m coming to a stop. Also the idle tune doesn’t kick in till I rev the engine after it’s warmed up.

Any ideas?
First, I'm not sure what the "idle tune" is. Where did it come from? Do you have an automatic or manual? What about gas type? Does this tune require higher octane?

I recently added the JLT CAI and had the Bama Tunes programmed into my SCT. I don't recall experiencing those issues but the different tunes require me to run different octanes.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

The burning smell is more than likely coming from the exhaust. New stuff will give off a burning smell for a few days of driving time.

I dont understand what you mean by idle tune.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:27 AM
chopper_man
1st Gear Member

Here's a thread I found on the Ghost tune.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...g-preview.html

OP, are you sure you can run both the "Ghost Cam Tune" and the "Steeda CAI Tune" at the same time? Usually it's whichever one you put in last is the one you are running. Did you have the Ghost tune written to include your Steeda CAI?

What did your tuner say when you told them about your issues you are having? If you haven't contected them about it yet, you should as only they know how your tune is writen.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on the odor being from the protective coatings on the ehaust which will soon burn off.

Who's tunes did you buy?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

The problems your having is most likely due to the ghost cams tune. The tune to replace the effect of a camshaft swap became available to the new 5.0s. Simply put they will NEVER give the same quality of lope or idle as an actual high lift camshaft. Even small things like that come with aftermarket cams, but not nearly as bad sounding as you make it to be. If you want it to be smooth I'd return the tune to stock and just do a 93 octane street or race tune if you're using a programmer.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:49 PM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

@ the op, the smell is the exhaust,thats normal just coatings burning off, as for the tune , ummm that's how it works it runs rough like its running a big cam, and if you read the directions they state clearly that when starting the car warm the idle won't kick in till the first blip of the throttle, and when the car is cold it does not cam lope and the idle is... skippy yes, that's the best way to put it... let it warm up a bit it will be fine
Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Just to make sure, ensure that you have about 3/4 inch around the exhaust tips where they exit the rear. Just sayin maybe if the tip is too close it can melt the plastic or boil the paint.