Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Appearance or Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default Appearance or Performance?

My Mustang GT is my daily driver till next summer, when I should be getting a motorcycle and some sort of grocery getter Mazda

Since I really don't do any racing, I was wondering if I should do my exterior (hood, scoops, louvers) first and then do CAI and tune, clutch, ect.

Since the car is very visible... I started thinking that maybe I should get her looking perfect before I get her driving perfect.

As far as the exterior, I would do a Trufiber A52 hood, side scoops, Eleanor style louvers, GT500 wheels, dark purple stripes, a Roush rear spoiler, and I can't decide on front and rear bumpers.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I would suggest exterior upgrades as that seems like more of your interest. Also, look into the Roush bumper's because you're looking to get that wing and it would look great with the other components. Why purple stripes?
Old 03-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

depends what you want more... I'd personally do CAI/exhaust/tune first... then some nice 18" wheels. Then i'd get an aftermarket hood. Then cams/headerds and another tune Then probably lower it. I care a little more about performance
Old 03-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
depends what you want more... I'd personally do CAI/exhaust/tune first... then some nice 18" wheels. Then i'd get an aftermarket hood. Then cams/headerds and another tune Then probably lower it. I care a little more about performance
Forgot to mention that I'm already lowered on 18 inch wheels lol
Old 03-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Forgot to mention that I'm already lowered on 18 inch wheels lol
oh nice.. well in that case i'd go for CAI/tune... and do exhaust too if you have the money

With looks, also its easy to overdo it, imo... no offense to some guys here but i'm not the hugest fan of stripes, scoops, louvers, etc. I prefer simple and clean... *updated sig*
Old 03-31-2012, 05:52 PM
nickb2236
1st Gear Member

Exterior mods is what I've been doing first. My stang is my daily driver for now and I don't have the money to make it a 10sec track car until it's paid off. +1 on matching the Roush bumpers with the spoiler. I've seen a car with the spoiler and not everything else and it looked off.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
oh nice.. well in that case i'd go for CAI/tune... and do exhaust too if you have the money

With looks, also its easy to overdo it, imo... no offense to some guys here but i'm not the hugest fan of stripes, scoops, louvers, etc. I prefer simple and clean... *updated sig*
And I like mine to be mean. But it isn't like I'm doing anything flashy. I'm doing deep purple stripes that won't really stand out too much.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
And I like mine to be mean. But it isn't like I'm doing anything flashy. I'm doing deep purple stripes that won't really stand out too much.
that'd look sweet...
My favorite combo is this silver GT500 with dark gray stripes that I see around town
Old 03-31-2012, 11:00 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I've gone the opposite direction and did the perf mods first, but now everyone calls it a sleeper. Uh, that's not what I was attempting to do. I guess it's getting time to stripe up, eh?

I vote exterior mods first too. Hey, make it look totally bad then if someone wants to race and you think you'll lose just look at them and laugh like "Yeah...right!"
Old 03-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
I've gone the opposite direction and did the perf mods first, but now everyone calls it a sleeper. Uh, that's not what I was attempting to do. I guess it's getting time to stripe up, eh?

I vote exterior mods first too. Hey, make it look totally bad then if someone wants to race and you think you'll lose just look at them and laugh like "Yeah...right!"
^^^ This ^^^ is possibly the most helpful reply here.

Exterior it is!

Quick Reply: Appearance or Performance?