Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker 500 in 5.0 SUCKS

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Valid point, just stating the facts and my personal opinion. If people didn't talk about the pros/cons what would we talk about? www.cgeconomics.com <- this?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 AM
2012Kona
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
I feel like people have come to expect a lot out of a V8 sports car in the high 20s, low 30s for price.

You get what you pay for...simple as that. I don't go into a ford dealer, buy a mustang GT, and expect to walk out with a BMW M3 lol.
Yeah but when you pay for a "Premium upgraded" system you should get that. Pay for the same Premium upgraded system from any other manufacturer and you're talking apples and oranges. Plain and simple. I'm paying half of what the best Shaker system Ford puts in and getting 100x better sound. It's the engineers that have failed in this aspect.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

The one in my 2013 sounds better than the one in my 2007 and 2008.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
Valid point, just stating the facts and my personal opinion. If people didn't talk about the pros/cons what would we talk about? www.cgeconomics.com <- this?
Lol nah, probably not my econ website that i haven't even touched for too long.

If I came off critical or anything I apologize. Not you, but some people complain about their mustang as if it should have every feature in the world in it for only $28,000 and it's just stupid. I understand talking about it in terms of being happy to mod out what was originally crappy, but when people expect to sit in a car with $50,000 in components while paying only $28,000...that's just stupid.

Originally Posted by 2012Kona
Yeah but when you pay for a "Premium upgraded" system you should get that. Pay for the same Premium upgraded system from any other manufacturer and you're talking apples and oranges. Plain and simple. I'm paying half of what the best Shaker system Ford puts in and getting 100x better sound. It's the engineers that have failed in this aspect.
Are you talking about the shaker 1000? Well yeah, I agree that the Shaker 1000 is a craptastic upgrade on these cars. Sure, it'll boom the hell out of your trunk with that sub, but other than that isn't not all that different from the 500.

If you're talking about the 500 though, the upgrade to premium etc. comes with much more than just radio upgrades. Not to mention that Ford probably pays for intellectual property quite a bit, such as having "Sync" Microsoft branded software running their car AI
Old 05-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I think its pretty good. I find that you get used to whatever sound system you have, and then you start thinking that its the best sounding one and everything else sounds weird once you get used to it.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 PM
2012Kona
1st Gear Member

I'm just tough to please when it comes to sound. Never have understood why Ford seems to lag in this department when they accel at pretty much all the others. But that's the beauty of mods I suppose. Make it how you want.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Lol nah, probably not my econ website that i haven't even touched for too long.

If I came off critical or anything I apologize. Not you, but some people complain about their mustang as if it should have every feature in the world in it for only $28,000 and it's just stupid. I understand talking about it in terms of being happy to mod out what was originally crappy, but when people expect to sit in a car with $50,000 in components while paying only $28,000...that's just stupid.

Not a bit, lol. Just had to fire something back, lol. I do agree with you 100%. I do read some threads that just don't make too much sense. My original Q was in reference to an upgrade to the 1000, but no one has really touched on that aspect yet. Hoping someone has done it and can chime in. I see you did says it's craptastic, lol. Going to try out some new speakers and see how it sounds first.

Trust me, I love the car.....msrp was 38,800, but for all the other goodies. Overall I am very happy with the car... the radio just shocks me.... Again, the 07 was GREAT while the 12 is below par. Another strange part my 11 had power to move the back of the seat forward/backwards... I have not seen one 12 with it and it. Suppose they did away with it.

Now, the biggest improvement on the other hand is the traction; HOLY COW @ TRACTION. I've driven vettes and this thing has the 50K traction IMO. Not sure if the brembo package makes that much of a difference over a stock GT, but it kills the 07 in the traction department. I'll take traction all day over radio, lol.

Last edited by 99gtstang; 05-06-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:05 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Apparently the 2013 sound system (it might be called the Shaker something, I can't remember) is incredible. I've heard nothing but good things about it. I guess Ford listened to people saying that the 10-12 500 was awful.

I had the Shaker 500 in my old ride and I liked it. I'm no audiophile though. I've got the Shaker 1000 now and it gets the job done.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:18 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
Not a bit, lol. Just had to fire something back, lol. I do agree with you 100%. I do read some threads that just don't make too much sense. My original Q was in reference to an upgrade to the 1000, but no one has really touched on that aspect yet. Hoping someone has done it and can chime in. I see you did says it's craptastic, lol. Going to try out some new speakers and see how it sounds first.

Trust me, I love the car.....msrp was 38,800, but for all the other goodies. Overall I am very happy with the car... the radio just shocks me.... Again, the 07 was GREAT while the 12 is below par. Another strange part my 11 had power to move the back of the seat forward/backwards... I have not seen one 12 with it and it. Suppose they did away with it.

Now, the biggest improvement on the other hand is the traction; HOLY COW @ TRACTION. I've driven vettes and this thing has the 50K traction IMO. Not sure if the brembo package makes that much of a difference over a stock GT, but it kills the 07 in the traction department. I'll take traction all day over radio, lol.
From what I've heard from others who at least had an old Shaker 1000, most didn't seem to think it was really worth it, some did though. IMO new aftermarket speakers are the way to go though if the sound really bothers you. A lot of people say even just changing out the two fronts makes a world of difference.

As for the traction, I think a lot of it has to do with the tires on the brembo package. They are really damn good tires, unfortunately probably too expensive to replace with the same though . On tire-rack they run something like $450/tire. Handling in general though on the 2010+ has been improved quite a bit though
Old 05-06-2012, 06:36 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

WOW - $356 a piece and only a 220 treadwear. I think you're right... That could have a lot to do with it, lol.

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 in 5.0 SUCKS