Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: DD best bet for mo power.
Supercharge that sucka!
89.19%
Cam/Exhaust.
10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Whatch think...S/C or Cams for your DD.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:13 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang
I will warn you. If you go Roush don't do the M90. It has decent power for an S/C but it has some serious supercharger whine
that's the way it sure seems from the in-car video I have seen to date.
the saleen sounds sooooo nice, it would be hard to talk me out of a 475 kit at this point if I went s/c'er.
Doesn't look like much of an install, might even give it a go myself and save some coin. Anyone have any experience with the install of the saleen?
Oh and am I good with the stock exhaust and the saleen to achieve numbers around 425?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
that's the way it sure seems from the in-car video I have seen to date.
the saleen sounds sooooo nice, it would be hard to talk me out of a 475 kit at this point if I went s/c'er.
Doesn't look like much of an install, might even give it a go myself and save some coin. Anyone have any experience with the install of the saleen?
Oh and am I good with the stock exhaust and the saleen to achieve numbers around 425?
Personally I would go with full headers with high flow catted x pipe.. I had the kooks on my 05 .. It really helps the efficiency of your blower / boost and adds torque
Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Supercharge that sucka indeed! Nothing beats the whine or spooling of a s/c! And like someone else said, it's gotta be a good conversation piece at any show or gas station!

Though, if you're just trying to intimidate a civic at a red light, then either route is good haha
Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

You said money was not a concern are you going to build the lower end to handle over 500rwhp? If not then a GT500 supercharger is a great solution. Made to last, runs cool as a cucumber on the 3v and makes 450rwhp without any issues. If money does come around for cams you'll still be in for less than most PD alternatives. Plus the SC is actually easier install than the cams.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

I voted cams/exhaust. I just like the sound of a good exhaust with cams over a s/c whine (call me crazy lol). Just to be honest you could go higher then the safe zone and do both. There are people who have and are still driving around just fine after a while. You just need a good tune by someone who is experienced with these cars. If there isn't anyone you trust to do a tune for that kind of power then it is understandable and yes stay in the safe zone.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:53 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
If not then a GT500 supercharger is a great solution. Made to last, runs cool as a cucumber on the 3v and makes 450rwhp without any issues. If money does come around for cams you'll still be in for less than most PD alternatives. Plus the SC is actually easier install than the cams.
Everything I'm reading states this is waaaay more trouble than it's worth. Not just money, but effort/time since they're designed for the 5.4L. By the time you're done couldn't a comparible one made for the 4.6L have been set up right to run just as well for less?

Last edited by wayne613; 04-29-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have done both. Cams are nice but pahleez......they are NOTHING compared to a blower. Go straight to the blower, dont waste you cash on the cams it will only dissapoint in the power dept.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
Personally I would go with full headers with high flow catted x pipe.. I had the kooks on my 05 .. It really helps the efficiency of your blower / boost and adds torque
good to know, thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by MadStang40
Though, if you're just trying to intimidate a civic at a red light, then either route is good haha
haha...EXACTLY my brother. That's what i'm talking about, beating a guy down and never having to run him is the fun!!!!
Whine or Rumble that's the question. Which is more intimidating????

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I have done both. Cams are nice but pahleez......they are NOTHING compared to a blower. Go straight to the blower, dont waste you cash on the cams it will only dissapoint in the power dept.
waiting for you bro. know you been there, and kinda figured your answer already
Thanks for the shout!

my favorite new movie

Old 04-29-2012, 11:25 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Supercharge it! Going on 2 years here with the Vortech as a daily driver. I've got the power when I need it!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Friend of mine has a 06 GT with Hot Rod cams and a Saleen Supershaker. Those cams sound beautiful, but being pushed back into your seat when that blower kicks in is unmatchable. And the whine

I think the poll speaks for itself dude haha

Quick Reply: Whatch think...S/C or Cams for your DD.