Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor issue from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:50 PM
CoCo V6

Question O2 sensor issue from exhaust

ok guys so here is the big question:

I have a hole burnt in the line of my O2 sensor from the aftermarket dual saleen exhaust I installed on my 08 V6. Now every time I pump gas it spits some back at me, however today it didn't do it. Some friends told me that it shouldn't be an issue if I don't mind my check engine light being on. Is this true?

I just spent a crap ton of money on new mods for my baby (new subs, new bbk shorty headers, new intake) and I really don't want to spend the money on a new O2 sensor and having it installed (I've never done one before, but I think I could if someone explained it to me.)

Please offer some advice!

Thanks, Jessica <3
Old 05-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Sequence

buy a new o2 sensor and locate where the burnt one runs... follow the line disconnect it and install the new one the same way the old one was....

i dont know mustang specific for I dont have one but my past 3 vehicles were easy to install o2 sensors...
Old 05-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

so you're okay with spending money on modding the car how you want it, but not on fixing the things you're breaking?

that sounds like a recipe to hate your car in the not too distant future.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

where exactly is the hole burnt?
its spitting gas back at you?
do you have cats?
tuner?
O2 sensor is bad, or you just dont have a tune for the exhaust?
whats the CEL for?

just trying to understand the question 1st.
welcome to MF, btw.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 AM
CoCo V6

Originally Posted by Entaille
so you're okay with spending money on modding the car how you want it, but not on fixing the things you're breaking?

that sounds like a recipe to hate your car in the not too distant future.
Entaille- I have had the car since to 2008 when it was purchased new, I basically can't afford to have it fixed right now because i had just purchased the mods. I love my car, it is more important to me than 1/2 the guys I have dated combined lol, I should have worded it differently. I just want a cheaper solution because I got hit with it after committing to large purchases like the headers and stuff! :-)
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 AM
CoCo V6

Originally Posted by onederful100
where exactly is the hole burnt?
its spitting gas back at you?
do you have cats?
tuner?
O2 sensor is bad, or you just dont have a tune for the exhaust?
whats the CEL for?

just trying to understand the question 1st.
welcome to MF, btw.
Onederful100- the hole is burn through the line of the O2 sensor, I figured it was a simple fix but apparently its way up under the rear end. I don't have cats, the car is kept garaged 100% of the time but it is a daily driver. I looked underneath yesterday and you can see where the exhaust caused a little burn in the wiring, it must have fallen down after I installed the exhaust. :-/ I want to know if it is really hard to replace and where a good place to get one would be.... Most autozone type stores want an arm and a leg for one.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:18 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

There's no O2 sensor wiring near the rear end.
Your car would normally have 4 O2 sensors; 2 of them, with green plastic connectors in the wiring, up close to your shorty headers. The other two, with blue plastic connectors, are located past (or in) the cats (catalytic converters, that is).

Second, a burnt wire on a O2 sensor wont cause gas to be spit back at you when filling up.

Since your check engine light is on, you need to find out what DTCs its telling you. It may not be a O2 sensor issue at all, or maybe it is.
If you need a replacement, you can get ahold of a good used one for half or less than what a new one cost (send me a PM or post here, I have a couple extras).

Not to be blunt, but, if you love your car so much, try to understand what's right and wrong, and we can help you a lot more that way, and help you to get it right
Old 05-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CoCo V6
Onederful100- the hole is burn through the line of the O2 sensor, I figured it was a simple fix but apparently its way up under the rear end. I don't have cats, the car is kept garaged 100% of the time but it is a daily driver. I looked underneath yesterday and you can see where the exhaust caused a little burn in the wiring, it must have fallen down after I installed the exhaust. :-/ I want to know if it is really hard to replace and where a good place to get one would be.... Most autozone type stores want an arm and a leg for one.
Replacing an O2 sensor is literally a 5 minute job. I did a header install today and took a couple pics. The sensors are the things that are hanging down in the pic(you can also see the green one plugged into the header on the left). They are screwed into your exhaust but come out easily. Simply unscrew them, disconnect them, and plug the new one in.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by CoCo V6
ok guys so here is the big question:

I have a hole burnt in the line of my O2 sensor from the aftermarket dual saleen exhaust I installed on my 08 V6. Now every time I pump gas it spits some back at me, however today it didn't do it. Some friends told me that it shouldn't be an issue if I don't mind my check engine light being on. Is this true?

I just spent a crap ton of money on new mods for my baby (new subs, new bbk shorty headers, new intake) and I really don't want to spend the money on a new O2 sensor and having it installed (I've never done one before, but I think I could if someone explained it to me.)

Please offer some advice!

Thanks, Jessica <3

Any burn on your O2 sensor wiring has nothing to do with gas being spit back out of the filler neck. That is actually a fairly common thing on the Mustang. When it happens just rotate the nozzle around and it should fill.

Take your car to an AutoZone or O'Reilly or someplace like that and find out what the code is. You need to know what the CEL is for. Is it something to be gravely concerned about? Who knows at this point since you haven't taken the simple way of finding out why it is on. It could be anything and it could be major.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 AM
CoCo V6

Originally Posted by JimC
Any burn on your O2 sensor wiring has nothing to do with gas being spit back out of the filler neck. That is actually a fairly common thing on the Mustang. When it happens just rotate the nozzle around and it should fill.

Take your car to an AutoZone or O'Reilly or someplace like that and find out what the code is. You need to know what the CEL is for. Is it something to be gravely concerned about? Who knows at this point since you haven't taken the simple way of finding out why it is on. It could be anything and it could be major.
The gas spitting back at me was a problem with the O2 sensor and the sensor leading from the gas tank to the system on the car. I figured it out, I DID take it to autozone prior to posting this and spoke with several friends and mechanics about what it could be. I was simply trying to get an idea of how hard it is to change/ if it was something I could do myself and save around $400 bucks from the dealer who was going to charge me $550.00 to change it. Don't have to be a condescending jerk. I thought people were all nice on this forum, guess there are still those idiots who think women are ignorant to car maintenance.

Quick Reply: O2 sensor issue from exhaust