Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaned TB, problems...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 12:04 PM
six4caliente

Default Cleaned TB, problems...

Hey Guys,

First time posting, but i've been using this forum for a long time to fix problems on 4.6 cars. I just picked up a 2006 Mustang GT. Black, red leather, manual. It was idling strange, it would surge and die at idle with the AC on. I read ariound, everything pointed to cleaning the MAF and Throttle Body. Cleaned the MAF, no change. Pulled the TB off and cleaned it, now the car starts and idles very odd, dies as soon as I touch the gas pedal. What gives? I did not disconnect the TPS when cleaning, could that be the problem? Thanks guys.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it sounds like one of the connectors on the throttle body, is
not making good contact. disconnect, then reconnect.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:53 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Also suggest re-cleaning the TB. Sometimes gunk gets into the throttle plate pivot areas during the initial cleaning that can cause idle and stalling problems.

Another cause of these problems is disconnecting the battery. If that was done before you cleaned the TB, then driving 50 miles(+/-) will allow the ECU to re-learn the idle strategy.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:55 PM
mystangisblack
2nd Gear Member

This might be really strange, but this happened to me when my alternator went out. It honestly made no sense to me, but I kind of let it slide and a week later I was idling at a light and my lights flickered off and the car died. I honestly don't see the correlation of idling problems to the alternator, but thats what happened to me. Had to replace my alternator.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:23 PM
six4caliente

I got some contact cleaner, cleaned all of the contacts. Still no dice. Took the TB off, re cleaned. Still nothing. It won't even start. Just put a new alternator on a month ago.

I'm REALLY missing carburetors right now. Thinking maybe the TPS has gone bad? Can anyone provide some info about troubleshooting the TPS?

Thanks guys. Beautiful day out, I just want to get this thing on the road.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:43 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if it will not start it might be flooded, hold the pedal all the way down till it starts, or just wait it out.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=12&viewfile=No%20Start.pdf

A4

Overall TPS troubleshooting:http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=20&viewfile...)%20Sensor.pdf

Last edited by wayne613; 05-26-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:10 PM
six4caliente

let it sit for 3 hours, still won't start. started right up with starting fluid, but dies right away. this means i must have a fuel problem, but i can't for the life of me figure out how to check the fuel pressure in this thing.

no schrader valve, how do you guys check fuel pressure on a 4.6 3v?
Old 05-26-2012, 07:27 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by six4caliente
no schrader valve, how do you guys check fuel pressure on a 4.6 3v?
Just bought a generic one(tester) myself from harbor freight. As to step-by-step how to interface it, I haven't gotten that far yet. But pretty sure that is covered in the service manual link given.

Actually, just found it...A9 of first link I gave.

Use this section to safely let out built up pressure

Pressure Test Point
On some applications there is a pressure test point with a Schrader fitting in the fuel rail that relieves the fuel
pressure and measures the fuel injector supply pressure for repair and diagnostic procedures. Before
repairing or diagnosing the fuel system, read any WARNING, CAUTION, and HANDLING information. On
vehicles not equipped with a Schrader valve, use the Rotunda Fuel Pressure Test Kit 134-R0087 or
equivalent.
Key on, engine off fuel 207-345 kPa (30-50 psi)
pressure
Engine running fuel 152-255 kPa (27-37 psi)
pressure (idle)

Last edited by wayne613; 05-26-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:51 AM
six4caliente

Default Fixed!

She works!

Turned out to be completely unrelated to the throttle body cleaning/tps. Turned the key on and didn't hear the pump running, so I initially thought it was a bad pump ($$$). Checked the fuel pump relay just to be sure, and BINGO. It was stuck open. Popped a new relay in and now it's back on the road, running perfectly. Cleaning the TB took care of all the idle issued I was having.
Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Cleaned TB, problems...