Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 GT BROKEN - Purchased New on 6/2, needs repair to steering 6/5

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Colin Mendes

Default 2013 GT BROKEN - Purchased New on 6/2, needs repair to steering 6/5

So I purchased my first Mustang this past Saturday, June 2nd. Brand new 2013 GT. Drove it about 70 miles over the weekend here and there, didnt push it. Sunday evening, it starts to "click/creak" when making left turns. The noise happens during the first 1/2 turn of the steering wheel to the left.

I take it to the dealer this morning and they hear it too and put it up on the lift and check it out. They tell me very vaguely that its the power steering and that an entire piece having to do with it needs to be replaced and that its such a large piece that they dont stock it and it will take a week to get it. They say the car is safe to drive while it makes the noise and send me on my way.

I am not familiar with the internals of this car and do not really know what it could be. Anyone wanna take a stab at it? The car turns smoothly and I dont really feel anything, but it doesnt sound good when turning the wheel left. They told me nothing is bent, cracked, leaking, or anything out of the ordinary and that the problem is within a part that comes assembled to them already and that they cant reach.

Needless to say im a bit disappointed - I have never had a brand new car have an issue within days of taking it off the lot, and I dont really know how to handle this situation. They said once the part is here it takes a day to put in and that I could have a loaner if I need it. Everything is covered under warranty. Anything else I should do/ask/request? thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Id probably take a loaner just to be safe. Steering is important lol. and its always nice going from some ****box loaner back to your mustang.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Colin Mendes

Sorry - to clarify they offered the loaner after the part comes in while my car is being worked on. They didnt offer it while I wait a week for the part to come in.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

it happens. the cars are mass produced, quality checks are everywhere, but some things can slip by. especially something that isn't going to show up initially on a test drive.

no idea what's actually wrong - you should have divulged this information from the tech. it's important to know what they are doing to your car. they told you a 'piece' they had to order, you could have grabbed that information.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

If nothing else, I would want to know what the problem is and what will be replaced. Could be nothing, but at the same time...could be something!
I do not like vague when it comes to something like this, usually means they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Its a new purchase and you have power...get the facts and make the call bro!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

If that's your only problem, I'd say you're good haha

I've had far bigger lemons...

I know, it sucks, but, it happens.

Here's hoping its all tight as a drum when she gets back to ya'
Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Just be happy the car didn't burst into flames. Erik
Old 06-05-2012, 10:38 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
it happens. the cars are mass produced, quality checks are everywhere, but some things can slip by. especially something that isn't going to show up initially on a test drive.

no idea what's actually wrong - you should have divulged this information from the tech. it's important to know what they are doing to your car. they told you a 'piece' they had to order, you could have grabbed that information.
Sounds like an internal fault within the rack. Special order. :P
Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 AM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

Just be happy the car didn't burst into flames.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Colin Mendes

I am at the ford dealer now its 8 in the morning and they told me to come in today because they spoke to a Ford engineer and he directed the mechanics to run a bunch of tests on the car to determine if they needed to order this part or not. I will get all the details and post them here when they are finished with the steering tests.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT BROKEN - Purchased New on 6/2, needs repair to steering 6/5