Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took delivery on a new Mustang, is a car w/250 miles on it new?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Colin Mendes

Default Took delivery on a new Mustang, is a car w/250 miles on it new?

Ok before I begin, I know that this is almost entirely my fault. I just assumed that they were telling the truth and that the numbers on the contract were correct.

I purchased a new 2013 mustang gt this past saturday (which is now in back at the dealer, but thats another thread) and we did the deal and I drove away with the car happy. The paperwork says the car was delivered to me with 26 miles on it, and when I drove away the settings on the dash I guess was in another mode and did not show the total mileage. Yesterday when filling the tank (first time I needed gas since picking her up) I was messing with the display settings and I thought I was looking at the wrong thing but it seems that the total mileage is 550! I know that 1 tank of fast doesn't take you that far.

I know its not a big deal mileage-wise, but is this something I should bring up? Does the onboard computer monitor anything that could prove this? My co-worker was like F that man go after them since they were driving the car before you got it.

The car was on the lot when I first saw it, it was not shipped to me. The BIG thing is that the car is now at the dealer (where I am writing this from) because of a major steering issue.

Advice?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I would talk to the dealer and see what is up. Someone drove it.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

I would certainly bring it up since they stated, on paper, the mileage is 26!! Doesn't necessarily make the car bad, but definitely question why so many miles on a "brand new" car that you paid for. What was done in those 550 miles? I don't know about others, but that would **** me off!!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Test drives. Why is it an issue to you? It's still a new, awesome car. How would you "go after them?" Seems ridiculous to me, quit frankly.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Maybe the discrepancy with the paperwork and actual mileage was caused by someone looking at the trip counter or something and assuming it was actual. Easy to do, you drove the car a few hundred miles before you even realized how many miles were really on it.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Colin Mendes

The problem I'm having is that I am at the ford dealership where they just told me the cars gearbox is broken and it needs an entire new one
Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Yup, saw the other thread. I don't think the 250 miles of test drives is to blame. As stated in the other thread...sometimes new cars have issues too.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

At this point it's likely if you take it in you're going to get laughed at. The dealer will claim that you put the mileage on the car. It should have been something the dealer noticed before they sold you the car. It was probably a salesman who knew even less about the car than you and didn't take the time to properly check. It's highly unlikely your going to get anywhere with the dealer now.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:55 AM
ninefooter
1st Gear Member

26 or 250 is no real difference. The only difference is 200 miles on a warranty. Mine had to be delivered from 200 miles away so I got mine at 212 miles. After they fix your gearbox I'm sure everything will be fine.. and if not well that's what warranties are for. FYI I drove 340 miles on one tank of gas.

It'll be ok Just order mods for it while it's in the shop so when you get it back you can do amazing stuff.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

If it was titled,it's new.Mileage could be from several reasons.When i was a salesman,if we had a promising sales,sometimes we would let them take it for a day.Another reason is maybe someone came in and wanted a mustang and another dealer had one with the option he wanted,so they drove it to the dealership then the customer backed out.
I wouldn't worry to much about 250 miles,you still get full warranty.

Quick Reply: Took delivery on a new Mustang, is a car w/250 miles on it new?