Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT S/C'd Vs. GT500

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:24 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Default GT S/C'd Vs. GT500

So, I'm getting to the point that I want to add a S/C to my GT. In talking to my cousin, and a buddy or two, now they have me thinking GT500, say an '09 or a '10. I guess I'm just looking for some opinions from guys that have had one or the other, or even switched from one to the next. It kinda makes sense, and I do only drive it in summer months and when it's nice out. So, any feedback would help me weigh the options.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:37 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

if you can afford it, of course the GT500 is a better car all around.
will support more power as it sits.
on the other hand, adding a SC to a GT is cheaper.
i've had 450 rwhp for 5 years without a problem.
thats for the price of a SC added to what you have now.
if you go with a GT500, thats a lot more money to spend.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:15 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You're looking at 30k+, minus whatever you get for your car, for a gt500 vs. $6k for a blower.

If it wasn't for the hassle of selling my car, I'd have done it all ready, but my car is paid for.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I also enjoy the fact that my 06' GT remains at about 3550lbs, is currently at 454rwhp and can easily be, and has been at 480 with a pully swap, and has a fully changed out suspension with chassis stiffening and big brakes, plus I still love it's tastefully modded looks.

I have been able to mod the car in groupings, when I have some extra money, and it's been a fun hobby. Until recently, I had no envy towards the GT500, since my car has as much street power as I'd ever want, is 300lbs lighter than the GT500, has a more complete suspension and chassis change out, and handles extremely well.

I must admit though, I am blown away buy what you can get out of the box now with the 2013 GT500 and the Boss for that matter, and I am struggling to not cheat on my current automobile marriage, and lose my shirt on trading my current spouse in for an even more expensive new one. Erik
Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

GT500. 36k + 2k in upgrades...the wieght difference won't mean **** and you have the entire drivetrain that can handle it and will last, unlike a GT that's only kept alive by a safe tune unless you get forged internals.

Personally my car is almost paid off and instead of dropping thousands of dollars into supercharging it, I'm going to get a street bike and beat the crap out of that.

Last edited by Ricardo; 06-11-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:32 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Weight difference means **** in cornering. Notice how the magazines never test modded out GT's that have great suspensions and chassis stiffening plus weight loss. The G's they pull in corners is simply better than heavier cars with more sway.

The older GT500 07,08,09's will not keep up with a lighter GT in corners. A standard twin screw on a used GT with suspension would be a lot less than 38K. Erik
Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Depends upon the corners you're talking about eolson... I've done some minor suspension work to mine, and I feel it handles just about as well as my GT did... it's not a large enough difference to make a difference...

I've had both... I also purchased a Hellion T76 turbo kit that I was going to put on the built 4.6L my buddy and I swapped in his driveway (fun times). I never ended up putting the hellion on. The GT500 is a much stouter platform. I've spent probably about $5k on it, maybe a little more with all the miscellaneous stuff and I'm a little over 700rwhp. You can slightly feel the weight difference in the nose, but it's not a huge amount. I've also never really road tracked my car. The GT500 has a MUCH better tranny. A friend of mine has a blown 07 GT and he's on his third tranny and 2nd built engine. The shelby also turns heads and starts up conversations everywhere you will go. I have never regretted making the switch. Do some searching and you can find a low mileage 07-09 for low 30's.

You can also pick up modded ones for low/mid-30's. Here's one, 25k miles, 685rwhp whipple 2.9 for $33k. Could probably be had for less than that as well...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...le-extras.html

Or one that's basically stock like mine was when I picked it up for... low miles...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-30-950-a.html
Old 06-11-2012, 10:02 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

You can do a great 450/500 rwhp PD blower set up for $3500 if you're handy with tools and willing to shop. If you want more HP than that buy the GT500. It will cost you $20k to get reliable HP over 500 in 4.6l and that makes no sense with the prices of GT500.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SON OF 68
So, I'm getting to the point that I want to add a S/C to my GT. In talking to my cousin, and a buddy or two, now they have me thinking GT500, say an '09 or a '10. I guess I'm just looking for some opinions from guys that have had one or the other, or even switched from one to the next. It kinda makes sense, and I do only drive it in summer months and when it's nice out. So, any feedback would help me weigh the options.
I've had the same thoughts as you. At first, I wanted to go FI on my '08 GT. Then I realized that you are increasing yourself to risk of engine failure the more you up the boost. I know that there are many SC'ed GTs on here that have had no problems making 425 - 450 rwhp, but this is my daily driver and I enjoy it as it is with the mods that I have in my sig.

Plus, if I SC my GT, I will never get the money out of it that I would spend on purchasing and installing it. In the end, it would still be GT. Trading up a GT500 will cost you more initially, but you will have a better platform to build upon as you increase the boost, plus the resale value will be higher as well (after all it is a GT500). Since I would never daily drive a GT500, I would not own one as my primary car (and I love driving my car everyday). Maybe I will add a GT500 to my stable if I find a great deal on one...
Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

People will tell u money wise it makes no sense to dump it all in a gt. for me though it's easy. My car is paid off and in currently at a power level I can no longer up. So guess what this Xmas I'm going to get forged. I like the looks of my car over a 500 so for me it's easy. It just depends on ur finances.

Quick Reply: GT S/C'd Vs. GT500