Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to make an offer, but not sure on what to ask

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:41 PM
acctingman
1st Gear Member

Default Going to make an offer, but not sure on what to ask

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Thinking of going in tomorrow to test drive this Pony. It's a bit out of my price range @ $32k. It looks to me like it's loaded with options, many that I don't care about, but it's too nice not at least try.

Humor me....what would you offer the dealer for this Stang? I've got $7 in cash and my Mercury 02' Cougar to trade (hoping to get $3k for it in trade).

Thanks!

Bruce "Mustangless in Seattle"
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I spy rear view cam, navi, brembo wheels at least (maybe brakes? not sure, they don't show the front wheels from the side), CS fascia added to the front, it's lowered (I'd be impressed if it was done the right way with coils or springs/struts/shocks, strut mounts, panhard bar, etc.). I think those are the HID headlights too.

I would see what else was modded with this car. traded in at such low mileage and some mods thrown on .. see if it was tuned or if an intake is present. I'd want to know the history on the car, why it was traded in, service records / warranty work claims etc.

out of the box this was probably nearly a 40k mustang with the options it has - just about fully optioned out. the KBB value is even higher then what they have for the listed price so I'm not sure how much room there is for negotiating.

I'd offer 27 and try to get them to drop it to 29-30.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I also see a different shift **** .. and that interior color is barfffff on a grey Stang. : P
Old 06-13-2012, 01:21 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

$31k seems very high to me for a car that's two years old, despite being under 10k miles. Can't you get a new one with those options for like 3-4k more?

I'd say 25-26k would be a more reasonable price, but maybe I'm cheap or out of touch with recent pricing.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I think you're undervaluing the kbb/nada value and the options it has. a similarly equipped 2013 would run around 40k, easy.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:34 PM
acctingman
1st Gear Member

I like the car, but honestly, it has too many bells and whistle for me.

I really just have to have Leather.....all the other stuff, at least for me, is useless fluff.

I guess it's best for me to hold out for something with leather AND the least amount of "fluff" and then maybe I can get something in that $25-27 range.

Still going to test drive this one

Thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

what you want is a premium model gt with no other options then.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
$31k seems very high to me for a car that's two years old, despite being under 10k miles. Can't you get a new one with those options for like 3-4k more?

I'd say 25-26k would be a more reasonable price, but maybe I'm cheap or out of touch with recent pricing.
We're in 2012 not 2013. Unless you have a build date you can't say it's a two year old car...

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

It has Stock brakes and I can see the backup camera. Don't know the rest of the options it might have.

overall it looks pretty plain-jane to me so depending on options you may be able to get a brand new one for about the same price. The more options this one has the bigger the price difference between it and a new one.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

I would ask if the computer has been flashed and get it in writing. If an aftermarket tune has been loaded before Ford is voiding many engine warranties. IF the engine warranty is going to be voided if you have any problems, that should be a good bargaining chip in your favor assuming you will still want the car.
Once the Ford dealer understands that they MUST inform any potential purchasers about a voided engine warranty, they should really want to sell to you if you understand the issues and are still willing to make the purchase.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
I would ask if the computer has been flashed and get it in writing. If an aftermarket tune has been loaded before Ford is voiding many engine warranties. IF the engine warranty is going to be voided if you have any problems, that should be a good bargaining chip in your favor assuming you will still want the car.
Once the Ford dealer understands that they MUST inform any potential purchasers about a voided engine warranty, they should really want to sell to you if you understand the issues and are still willing to make the purchase.
Very true, a forum member earlier this year picked up a used 2011/2012 mustang (there's a thread about it). They took the car home and within a couple of weeks they had engine problems. Turns out the car had been tuned and flashed back to stock before being traded back to the dealer.

When the dealer techs got into the car and PCM they reported their findings to Ford about a #8 cylinder failure. Ford immediately voided the engine warranty under their TSB because of it. Luckily the dealer took the car back and helped him find another mustang within his budget with most of what he wanted.

Quick Reply: Going to make an offer, but not sure on what to ask